Valuation Resources

enstorm

I had trouble finding web sources of information on value of classic firearms like the Luger for example. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks

While I'm sure there's generally plenty of opinions available, on the value of any given item like say, a "Luger" (Parabellum, actually) pistol - the truest indicator of value is what an actual buyer paid cold/hard cash recently for an identical item in like condition.

That's exactly how a realtor determines a value for a home - find out what similar ones in a nearby similar neighborhood recently sold for.

The best way, today, to determine that value (besides putting your own item in an online/national auction) would be to surf online and physical auction RESULTS, i.e. "sold" items, exactly the same as the one you want to determine a value for.

While there are many. many online firearms auction sites, two of the more popular seem to be gunbroker and auctionarms.
Some of the physical auctions that publish results online are named after the founders, like Greg Martin, Julia, and (again), many/many more.

Some auctions specialize in classic firearms, so their results may at first seem inflated, but since they're actual, they reflect both the market and the condition/rarity of what sold.

The main problem in getting a reasonable appraisal on line is that condition is so much a part of the value on collectors' guns. Even with good pictures, two appraisers could give estimates hundreds of dollars apart, and with only a description, no real valuation is possible. (Is your 95% my 95% or my 65%?)

I agree with PetahW that "sold" prices are the best, but another good way is to go to gun shows and look at the prices on guns in the same approximate condition as yours. (Remembering that those are "asking prices", not "getting prices", they will still give you some idea of values.)

Also, most prices quoted, whether in the books, at gun shows, or at auctions, are retail prices, which is what you might expect to pay when buying. If you sell a gun to a dealer you will not get that price; you might get 75% of it, if you are lucky.

Jim

[most prices quoted, whether in the books, at gun shows, or at auctions, are retail prices, which is what you might expect to pay when buying. If you sell a gun to a dealer you will not get that price; you might get 75% of it, if you are lucky.]

Exactly - It's the reason I've always had the best success by marketing my own guns, ILO placing them on consignment, or selling to an FFL (who must maintain a profit margin to stay in business).

I usually price "run-of-the-mill"/average guns about 20% below retail, when I walk them around a gunshow with a "For Sale" flag on them.

The best results for me, however, have come from selling online - since the audience of prospective buyers is extremely large, comparatively.

Check completed auctions on Gunbroker for the model gun you want to determine value of. This should give you a good idea of what the current market value is. Track this info for a period of time, disregard the high and low and you should see a average price.

Back