Valmet Hunter in .30-06

Pres in VA

Inactive
As anyone ever seen one of these? A friend of mine just bought one that's essentially new in the box (the original owner purchased it in '83) and we can't find any information on it.

Supposedly, Valmet imported the Hunter only in .223, .243 and .308.

Thanks -

Pres in VA:
My records indicate that this rifle, valmet Hunter was mfg'd in 1986, Federal legislation disc. importation in 1989. Did he buy it while stationed overseas?

HJN

Hi, Mr. Nolden -

The rifle was bought in Harrisonburg, VA - the seller thought it was in '83, maybe '84. He says that at the time the dealer had two in stock, but couldn't sell either.

Fountain Firearms in Texas says they've seen one in the past, but other than that, everyone else says that Valmet never imported a .30-06 Hunter.

This weekend I may see the rifle - I'll try to post info re the serial number, importer, mag capacity, box markings, etc. Seems to be a pretty rare rifle.

Thanks for your help.

OK, I saw the rifle this morning - it is a Valmet Hunter in .30-06. The seller bought it in 1989, right before the new gun law went into effect.

The importer was Stoeger of S. Hackensack, NJ. Serial number is 3992xx.

It's a really beautiful gun. As new in the box with Valmet rings, cleaning kit and all of the paper work - even the warranty card.

Seems to be a pretty rare rifle - I've only run across two other people who've ever seen one.

It only came with one 9-round mag - my guess is that finding new mags for it is going to be a bit of a chore.

Back