Va Self - Defense Laws

T-Rex

Where can I find information on Virginia laws regarding Self-Defense? I am considering getting a cocealed weapons permit, and want to know exactly what is legal and illegal. The NRA has a listing of states' laws, but it only covers the broad issues. Is there any source of reliable information other than a lawyer? (I'm too cheap to pay for one)

Check your local neighborhood gunshop. They will be able to point you towards evening classes to educate you in the proper carry, safety and ramifications of you permit. I think VA requires taking such a course. No sure though. I do know they are around.

Check out The "VA Gun Laws" thread further down in this forum. There's a book called "Virginia Gun Owners Guide" by Alan Korwin & Steve Maniscalco (Blomfield Press, ISBN 0-9621958-7-1) that lays it all out, can be ordered from www.bloomfieldpress.com, $14.95, & worth it. VA is kinda loose in that there's no statutory definition, but the usual ability, opportunity, jepardy stuff applies.
M2

I second getting the Bloomfield Press book. It is the best reference I have seen. One of the best features of the book is the tie back to the VA Code sections which cover each portion. This allows you to do further research, highly recommended, much more easily then starting from scratch.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Back