VA legislature session starts

wally626

VA has a few good bills in the legislature session this year: HB1732, recognizes all out-of-state permits; HB2386 changes CPP to CWP; HB1573, Castle doctrine; HB2069, conceal carry without permit, with some caveats, open carry already allowed. A few other good ones as well. See http://www.vcdl.org/static/2011leg.html for list, thanks to VCDL for keeping track for us. http://www.vcdl.org/

Like last year lots of good bills going in, hopefully a few will survive the special gun bill death committee in the Senate.

Always good to see us gaining ground, but after restaurant carry was passed last year, there really isn't anything that I am waiting for with bated breath.

Castle Doctrine would be nice, but we have to be careful that any wording does not go contrary to our already solid case law.
Joining the growing constitutional carry state list would also be nice, but I really don't see that one happening.
Personally I would much prefer a carry on college campus law (before I do something drastic, like graduate)

I would like to see the bill which would permit the discharge of airguns on private property (as long as the shooter ensures the pellet does not cross onto another's property) passed. That bill would pre-empt local ordinances that restrict that activity. I live on an acre of land in Newport News and it would be nce to lawfully shoot the airsoft guns in the yard with my sons.

Most of the bills this year are in the would be good to have rather than need to have for me. The senate version of the Castle doctrine bill has been killed in committee. VA does have very good case law in this area, and it may be best to leave things alone, but having civil immunity in the law is helpful if future judges start rethinking things too much. Air guns are already good where I live, but I can see no reason not to pass this bill for state-wide shooting.

Very true on the needs...

Most of the bills this year are in the would be good to have rather than need to have for me.

While I agree with this for the most part, it always pays to let the politicians know that as citizens we are closely monitoring they votes and intentions.

Not being able to shoot a pellet rifle on your own property is absurd, in my opinion.
I guess they are worried about those DEADLY ricochets.
Where I live, I think anything goes, up to and including cannon fire as long as your neighbors don't complain!
Whenever someone starts popping off a few, with rifles or pistols, others soon join in and the woods are alive with the sound of music:p

The air gun law has passed the VA house and senate, so on to the Gov to get signed. Allows the use of air rifles on private land with permission of owner if care is taken that the shooting is done safely and the pellets do not cross the property line. This was the case for most of VA already but a few cities and counties had restricted the shooting of air rifles.

A few other bills look likely to pass that help gun owners, but nothing major like Castle Law, constitutional carry etc. passed. To get stuff like constitutional carry we need to get some dems in the senate out. VA votes this fall for all delegates and senators.

Another VERY IMPORTANT election process for our Virginians this fall, hope everyone exercises their rights and does the right thing!

Back