Utility Scouts--Ashley Outdoors Conversion Kits

Flashman

Has anyone used one of these kits (see www.ashleyoutdoors.com) on their M-98 or 96. It includes the excellent Ashley receiver sight and front post, the Ashely scout scope mount and an inletted Ramline stock for $325. I am curious what the gunsmithing costs are (which would also require a cut and crown and parkerizing) and if anyone specializes in doing this conversion. Thanks

I'll tell you what I know so far. I am building a scout rifle out of a #5 Mk1 Enfield. I've been going back and forth about whether or not to convert it to 308 and finally decided against for reasons of cost and magazine availability. I have a new Ramline stock on the rifle now and the quality is excellent! After I finish getting the rest of the parts together I will be taking it to the gunsmith to get a new barrel and an Ashley base put on it. I have not yet ordered the base because the bases are very specific as to barrel type.(no "one size fits all") Hopefully I can have it to him by the end of next week. As the rifle already has he best iron sight set up for a rifle that I have ever seen I won't be using the Ashley sights. If you are interested I'll let you know how it turns out. (it will probably be a few months) Meanwhile if you decide to build one let me know what you decide on and how it goes. I have a Spanish FR8 mauser that is next in line for this treatment if the Enfield goes well.

Jaeger,
I bought an FR8 for the same reason, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. How are you planning to mount the scope? What stock will you be using? I was hoping on preserving the "military look" of the rifle. Anything else would help too. Thanks alot.
-PCurrent

PCurrent,
I am planning to go the "Ashley" route. The new Ramline stock on my enfield is very nice! Much better than their old stocks. They even come with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad already installed. I'll replace the trigger with a Timney or a Bold and probably bend the bolt a little bit. I like the look of the cleaning kit (I have my front site adjustment tool in it now) but I have decided to have the ring milled off. I would like to leave the sights alone with the exception of opening up the rear peep aperatures some. I'll use an Ashley/Clifton scout scope mount for scope mounting. Check out www.Ashleyoutdoors.com and get a catalog. Hope this helps!

Back