Utility Gun ?

Big Ken

The only semi automatic handgun I have ever owned is a 91A1 Colt & love it, it has my full trust. I know that it does not have all the bells & whistles that a lot of guns have, but will do the job when it comes to personal/home protection, but I have seen it referred to as a utility gun, what does that mean ? stupid question I know but just needed clarification.

p.s I don't post on here very often, but I'm here every day I'm addicted I guess. Great Forum !

I guess it has been refered to as a utility gun because it doesn't have any bells or whistles. First generation Glocks are considered by many to be utility guns for this same reson. It is a misnomer, almost all guns are utility guns. Only those that are Collector/Comemorative grade special editions wouldn't be considered a utility gun by most standards, unless you shoot with it.

You described "utility gun" as good as anybody, no frills, bells, bows or whistles, just a basic gun that works for it's task. Not something to wear on your hip to impress people or take to deer camp to get ohhh's and ahhh's.

Some people also use this phrase in conjunction with inexpensive (I don't think the Colt applies in this regard :).

Regards, Blue Duck

OK then, me & my Colt don't feel quite as slighted as we did
appreciate you guys clarifying the term for me. I'm thinking of diversifying a little when I get my bank account back up, thinking 9mm maybe Beretta 92F what do you guys think ? Hope this doesn't sound like Blasphemy to my fellow Colt guys !

Back