Utilitarianism vs RIGHTS

Red Bull

I read an enlightening article in a gun mag recently. I can look it up if anyone wants to see it, but it was somewhere in my stack of back issues combined with current issues, so I have no idea where it is without digging.
Anyway, it really opened my eyes to something:
Basically it explained the difference between a "Utilitarian" society and argument versus a "RIGHT".

A Utilitarian argument is "the greatest good for the greater number". These arguments are like when we use John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime" book statistics to arguv that "guns do more good than bad".

On the other hand, a RIGHT is inherent and independent of the masses. In other words, just because some idiot misuses a gun, does not affect my RIGHT. My RIGHT is my RIGHT no matter what, period. It does not matter if things were so bad that %90 of guns were being misused by criminals and people are getting shot all over the place, it does not affect MY RIGHT to defend myself. I did not commit those crimes, I am still a good citizen, and MY RIGHT remains as my RIGHT because it is inherent.
For example, people that publish harmful writings are protected by the First Amendment, no matter what they are publishing. We don't have to argue whether or not their writings are helpful to society or hurtful...it does not matter, it is their RIGHT to think, feel, say, and write whatever they want.
We Americans do not live in a "Democray", we live in a "Constitutional Republic". It is not the "greater good for the greatest number". We have a Constitution and "inalianable RIGHTS" that "are not to be infringed upon", period.

I am not saying we should throw away all other arguments, because unfortunatly America has forgotten what a RIGHT is, so we have allowed ourselves to be reduced to the point where we HAVE TO use the Utilitarian argument to appease the masses. In the search to sterilize our society and be protected from cradle to grave, as well as "protect the children", we have thrown away such things as individual RIGHTS. But, I believe he is correct. My RIGHT to defend myself should not be affected by how others are acting, and my RIGHT to keep and bear arms should not be affected by statistics.

Fortunatly, the STATISTICS are HEAVILY in our favor: %99 of guns are not used in crimes, millions of people use guns every year to stop crime, gun control has never been even remotely proven to slow crime and in fact most crime goes up when gun control is enacted, and lastly it has been proven that allowing people to carry guns reduces crime. Yes, the Utilitarian argument is heavily in our favor. Guns do far more good than bad (we just see the few bad cases plastered up on TV). But, that does not change the fact that no matter how many people misuse guns, I have not misused a gun, and it is still my inalienable RIGHT as an American to defend myself with a gun, whether it is for the greater good or not.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 11, 1999).]

Red Bull,

I read the article. It was VERY refreshing to actually see it published. I agree with you. This is the same premise that I've been coming from for years.

Self defense and appropriate use of firearms are rights. It isn't the fact that it is prudent and pragmatic that we should be allowed to own and use them. (Note that I said "should be allowed"). It is because it is our God given right. When anyone dictates to a man that he is not "allowed or permitted/ note CCW permit" to freely (note FFL and registration) purchase and to own a firearm, what he is dictating is that he (govt, etc.) is no longer acknowledging that right, supperceding his authority.

It IS pragmatic to own and lawfully use firearms when needed. But as the article pointed out, if memory serves me, is that this pragmatism, at the rejecting of individual rights, has costs us too much in terms of being able to exercise said rights without fear of unjust punishment from those in power. And those in power are not the street criminals. People these days have a hard time beleaving that we have individual rights.

I'd like to see the major media cover the many instances of justified self defense using a firearm too, but they aren't going to help us. The NRAs collection of these isn't going to get read by much of the public either, although I think we should bring these up any opportunity that we can. The courts will not rule in our favor due to the pragmatism. They rule according to law...well sometimes. The precident is already on the books. The laws have been there for 200 years too. Why are they superceding them? I think its because, the law makers, judges, general public, and even much of the pro gun crowd no longer recognizes individual rights and the basis for them. Is there a solution? It aint activism. That never did anything more than slowing the trend at best. A major change in thinking at every level. Thinking that's on target....those individual rights that have been forgotten.

The fact that a law abiding citezen can suffer penalties for defending his or his family's lives by using a firearm that is not approved by the state is an aweful travisty of justice...a very sad state of affairs and mind.

Very good article and commentary as well, Red.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Right on target Red Bull! Rights are not a gift of the state and screw the majority. It is the INDIVIDUAL that counts, not the herd nor the lowest common denominator. It is much more dangerous not to excercise Rights than to cater to mediocrity.

Back