USPSA Distances

LubeckTech

I've shot IDPA for the past couple of seasons and in a couple of weeks will start USPSA at Rayner's Range in Ohio. What target distances should I expect in typical USPSA stages?

Varies from region to region and match to match but typically 80% of the targets are from point blank to 20 yards. For the other 20% they can go out as far as 50 yards. Typically a long shot is 25 to 35 yards. When the stuff goes out farther people start to complain though it's really not that big of a deal.

At least from my experience IDPA has many more close targets. Every thime I went to a IDPA match I felt like all the targets were damn close with the farthest being maybe 15 yards. Again it might of just been those clubs.

Thanks, Yar - you are right about IDPA usually a long shot will be in at 20 yards and you won't see many of those. The puropses of IDPA are to simulate real world encounters which, in theory, occur at 7 yards or less. It's other purpose is to be simple in both equipment and necessary skills so as to be fun for those who have average skills and stock equipment. It is a good way to introduce new shooters to competative shooting without discouraging them. I think anyone who carries (CCW) should shoot at least one IDPA match per year because most people that do not shoot regularly tend to have an inflated idea of their abilities and I think they need to see what they actually do in a light pressire situation when they have to think about what they are doing.

20 yards is a very common range in uspsa. You will see lots of those. In uspsa you are given much more freedom to engage the stage so often you will have the option of taking them at distance, or charging the targets.

It depends more on the range than what game it is. We shoot IDPA at 3 different ranges and one limits you to close up (15yds), one gets you out to 30-35 yds and one we can throw in shots over 200 (for 3gun).

When I have shot at Rayners in the past there were shots out to 25 yards or farther plus lots of steel. Have fun.

Bill N.

At our club, the distances for handgun can be anywhere from 5 yards to 30, with most averaging around the 10 to 12 yard range. Like what was stated earlier, if you are going for more realistic distances, then the closer ranged targets are the way to go. In my opinion, anything farther out than 18 yards or so is just for fun.

You may have picked the toughest local USPSA match in all the country !!! lol :D

It is also one of the best.

Rayner's typically runs 6-8 courses of fire (stages)...and they aren't little rinky-dink stages that are just thrown out there.

I shoot there all the time. Great people and great shooting.:cool:

Let me run down what you might see at a typical match at Rayner's:

Stage 1: This is a small shooting bay. You probably won't see any shots over 12-15y. Round count for the stage of ~ 16 hits. You might start seated on a bench, then go forward to engage targets through a window, and around both sides of a wall or barricade. You will often see the steel plates on this bay at 10-12y.

Stage 2: This is usually a house clearing scenario...going through doors, shooting around walls, through windows, and in open rooms. Targets from 2y to 20y. You are likely going to see moving targets on this stage, which are activated by shooting down steel poppers, opening doors, etc. Expect 28-32 rounds.

Stage 3: Another smaller bay. Usually a 16 rounds or less. Sometimes they will put a classifier stage here. You might be retrieving your gun from a mini-mart counter and engaging targets of the other side of the counter, then going through a doorway and engaging targets down range. Or, you might have a 3 string exercise...maybe shooting 6 plates through a barrel on the 1st string, doing a strong-hand bill drill on another string, etc.

Stage 4: This is the rifle bay. Expect up to 32 rounds. This could be anything.:cool: Field courses with lots of props are common. It's always a treat to pop over the hill and see what Tom Rayner has in store for us on this stage.

Stage 5: This is the gully stage. Unless Tom has built a gully run (common enough) we usually see a speed shoot of some sort here.

Stage 6: This is on the big bay up the other hill. Expect a high round count and lots of steel. You might see 15-20 pieces of steel on this stage, along with swingers and such. Lots of options here.

Stage 7: This is a nice deep bay. (BillOH ran a stage here at an Ohio Section match. It's not muddy now, Bill.) 18-24 rounds. Here is where you might need some of that accuracy. There might be shots at 35y mixed in..

Stage 8: Often a classifier or a speed shoot. Targets from 2y to 10y are common.

Rayner's is a tough match. Even the easy stages are mentally challenging. I like to tell shooters that if they can shoot at Rayner's, they can shoot anywhere.

I grew up in the area, but drive from Columbus now. I'd suggest bringing extra ammo. You can shoot the match, eat lunch, then shoot again. You can sure make it worth the drive. (or in my case...sleep in and show up at noon and shoot through. :) )

I think they start back up in February (3rd Sunday).

Here is their website: http://raynersrange.com/

Some clubs will have 30yd shots, but the vast majority are within fifteen, and lost of those are at ten or less; that's been my experience everywhere I've shot. While USPSA allows more flexibility of engagement than IDPA, most people use that to get closer to the targets!

Back