USPSA and IDPA pistol

UniversalFrost

Hello All,

In the past few days I have recieved some good advice from y'all about which pistol to use and not to use in USPSA. Now I was wondering what would be a good pistol for both.

I currently have the following semi auto pistols, but would be interested in expanding the collection (have approx 1000 for initial investment in new pistol). The beretta's already have the "D" spring and a few other tweaks.

Beretta Brigadier 96
Beretta 92 FS with an additional 96 slide and barrel and an extra 357 sig barrel
HK UPSc in .40 S&W
Colt Commander 80 series
Springfield XD 45 (5")

Also have a couple nazi lugers and a broomhandle mauser, but they probably wouldn't be very competitive :D and would retract from their value.

Was looking to get an original High Power in the future, but not sure if I want to use it for competitive shooting.

Also, no Glocks! their ergonomics just don't match up with me. They are nice and reliable guns, but I can't shoot them worth a darn and the 3rd gen ones with the finger grooves just don't fit my hands.

Any ideas for guns, calibers, options are appreciated.

GoSlash has got a good point.

I STRONGLY recommend you shoot some matches with what you have now rather than spend a thousand dollars before you have even tried it out.
I would say the Beretta 92 with its native 9mm barrel and some economy hardball like WWB or Blazer. That was good enough for Ernest Langdon to do a lot of winning with before he changed companies.

If you want to, any of the others would do but if you start swapping parts, like a 96 upper on a 92 lower and brag about it, you will run into trouble in Divisions that call for stock guns; like USPSA Production and IDPA SSP.

Ok, I guess i will go out and try the 92 (with original slide/barrel) or the 96 brig. . Are such things like extended mag releases and bumper pads accepted in the production class?

Extended magazine release, no.
Magazine base pad, probably ok, the only reference I could find was "no weighted attachments allowed to magazine."

An extended mag release is good to go in USPSA production as long as it was a factory offered option. If Beretta made a long button and offered it as an upgrade, option or on a variant of the gun you are using everything is fine. I don't know anything about Beretta mag buttons so I can't help there.

Just about everyone using a Glock in USPSA is using a large frame mag release, and since it is offered from Glock and used in the 34 and 35 it is perfectly legal to use on a 17 or a 22.

After a few matches, you'll meet some friends and they'll be happy to let you shoot their guns. Ther is no need to spend big dollars in some divisions.

Back