USPSA 3-Gun

Hemphill

I am going to attend the USPSA 3-Gun championship in Las Vegas and have some questions. The first is how should I carry shotgun ammo since in limited class speedloading tubes are not allowed. Second, what kind of practice should I do for the rifle and shotgun events? I currently shoot in IDPA and USPSA matches every weekend, so I think that my pistol ability is about as good as it is going to be. The guns I am planning to use are a Para-P14, a Bushmaster AR-15, and a Rem 870. Are there any recommendations you might have reguarding my choices?

If you have access to a semi auto shotgun I believe it would be a big help in your scores. Probably the best way to carry shells is the holder that goes on the belt that I think Choate makes.I have 2 and they work very well.I can't remember the capacity - I think 8 - but would have to look. Also a bandolier or belt that hold shells might be handy but slower.A Side Saddle carrier works well also. Good Luck - wish I could be there.

Check out the Bushmaster catalog on-line. They sell the Choate shot shell holder. It holds 6 shells vertically. Do you also have a sidesaddle on your 870?

Yes, I have a sidesaddle on my 870. I agree that a semi would probably give me an edge, but I can't afford one. Thanks for the responces, I will look for the belt mounted ammo carriers. Do you have any more tips?

I'm not sure that you are at a huge disadvantage with your 870. I see people at my local 3-gun matches that easily keep up with (and beat) the 1100s and Benelli M1s. The fact is that if you are well practiced, you can rack the action during target transition and be ready to fire as soon as the gun is back on target.

Back