USPFA vs USFA: How can you tell??? Is the quality THAT much better or worse?

Vanguard.45

I am currently in the process of purchasing a "US Firearms Early SAA" which has two cylinders- one for 45 Long Colt and one for 45ACP. The pistol looks brand new (pics are attached to this post), but the term "early SAA" got me to thinking that what I might actually be buying is one of the VERY early models from 1993-94 which was basically made from imported Uberti parts which had their final fittings and polishings done by the fine people ar US Firearms.

I checked online at the USFA website, and the pistol I am buying would normally cost about $1,700 new from them, but I am getting this one for $900 (with BOTH cylinders)!! So you see why I have become a bit suspicious.

So my question is, do the earlier US Patent Firearms products made with the imported Uberti parts have any unique markings vs. the newer models now being produced from A to Z in the Hartford plant?

According to the seller, the barrel is not marked "Uberti" anywhere. From the pictures I have posted, you can see that the hammer sticks up above the frame a little bit, which seems different from any of the images I find on the current USFA website. However, if I look at the Uberti website, theirs seem to stick up above the frame like the one I am buying!!!????

One last clue: the serial number on this pistol was provided by the seller and begins DFC2**. If any of you out there have guns from USFA (or their earlier name of USPFA), any ideas on how to tell when this pistol was made?

My last question is, "Am I overreacting?" I mean, were the early ones truly THAT much worse than the current ones? Are the Uberti parts truly going to be THAT inferior if they were actually finished by the people at USFA? I mean, for $900, I am getting a sharp looking pistol which seems to have many of the custom touches USFA now charges top dollar for.

What are your thoughts? I just don't want to be sold a bill of goods. I have spoken to the seller (who is an authorized dealer for USFA) and they have agreed to find out for me from USFA the details about this particular gun, so they are helping me out on this deal.

Thanks in advance,

Vanguard.45

Attachments

• pix1580487703.jpg
    pix1580487703.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 339
  • pix1580487375.jpg
    pix1580487375.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 258
  • pix1580487250.jpg
    pix1580487250.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 243
Are the Uberti parts truly going to be THAT inferior if they were actually finished by the people at USFA?

Maybe the question that you should be asking is "Are the currently produced guns that superior to the earlier Uberti produced guns to justify the huge price difference?"
What would the cost be of a comparable current Uberti model with similar features?
I think that you know what you're looking at, and now it's just a matter of whether you think that the gun is worth the price or not. It certainly looks like a nice piece, which is unique in its own right.
As a potential buyer, maybe you can use this ambivalence to try to swing a better deal. Would that help to ease your mind about making the purchase? :rolleyes:

The finish on that gun is outstanding. I'd get it and probably order new lockwork from USFA. Hamilton Bowen came out with his custom revolver book just before they started making or getting all their lock parts from domestic dealers. At that time, the internals were purely Uberti. His practice was to replace all the internals with colt parts. His first, very expensive recreation of the Keith #5 was based on an Italian-origin USFA or USPFA. After USFA started getting their springs and lock parts in the United States, he said there was virtually nothing that could be done to improve them.

a few months ago, I ordered spare lockwork for my totally US made Pre War saa and the guy at the plant said that he didn't know if they would fit the older guns without fitting but suspected they would be a close fit in mine. Another guy broke a hand spring and found his replacement part dropped in and worked fine. All he did was a light cosmetic polish.

Back