USP MkIV Tactical

tobeat1

I was looking at one of these at a gunstore yesterday. I do not like the USP's because of their DA triggers, but since this one had the threaded barrel and the O ring and since it is a .45, I decided to check it out. It had the smoothest action I have ever felt on a USP, and I have played with a few. Anybody out there have any experience with this particular peice? I have not shot any of the USP models but have heard good things about them. It sure does look neat and I would be using it primarily as a range gun.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

See two primary flaws with this gun. First, although the gun has a extended barrel, there is no increase of sight radius. Really, no added accuracy. Second, this gun is built primarily for commercial jacketed material. The barrel and chamber are not reloader friendly. Making reloaded 45 Super's a explosive proposition. For the money, a modern 1911 or Sig P220Sport are a better deals.

Robert

I have the HK Tactical .45 and even though the manual warns against the use of lead bullets I have had no problems with Lazercast 200 gr SWC over 4.5 gr of Bullesye in this gun. I ordinarily run 100-150 rounds thru it during a range session and I clean the barrel thoroughly after each session. No problems with barrel leading, failure to feed, signs of high pressure etc. My gun is used as a range piece, and it is one of the most accurate 45's I own (also have 1911s and P90). The tall front sight (to clear a silencer) is easy to pick up in rapid fire situations. In short, this gun is well designed and easy to shoot; as a range gun I don't think you'll be disappointed. By the way, you can get the O ring barrel and a longer sight radius with the USP Expert model; I haven't shot this one but the recent review in American Rifleman is a positive one.

tobeat1

I agree with what James T. Weston said.

I picked up my Tactical for $750 new. So far it's been flawless in reliability after 500 rounds. I also own a Kimber Custom Classic that is reliable and accurate, but not as reliable (the Kimber has failed once with a new Wilson 8rnd magazine) nor as accurate as the Tactical.

The downside to the Tactical would have to include the double action trigger pull, which is better than the USP 45F, but not as good as Sig's or a CZ's.

In my experience the Tactical has been a great buy.

[This message has been edited by JJCII (edited December 14, 1999).]

I too have the USP 45 Tactical. I love this gun! No jams, no feeding problems, and outstanding accuracy. I would sooner give up my Kimber Gold Match 1911 than the H&K.

Wow, high marks. I've been looking at this gun and have been undecided. I may have to look at again! Currently shooting A Trophy Match Springfield .45. And it is real sweet. Dont' think I would give it up though.

------------------
An armed society is a polite society.

Back