USP .45 aftermarket bbl - should I sell it?

krept

Hello all, looking for some advice.

I have a USP .45 that has the stock barrel in it as I type this and a CCFA O-ringed, threaded, stainless Tactical barrel and a votex flash suppressor unit for it that hardly receives any use. I bought the setup essentially because I was intent on building my USP up to a Tactical, not only for the "cool" factor, but because of the added benefits of the setup. Everything works just as promised, but I just plain don't use it for several reasons.

First and foremost, I am going to move to California soon and am not sure of the legalities concerning the said setup. Additionally, after shooting the USP the way it is, I find that I prefer the setup as-is and am a firm believer in practicing with what I open carry and this is the plain stock bbl.

Don't get me wrong, the barrel/suppressor unit works great, accuracy is improved, much less flash signature and muzzle flip is reduced significantly. Both bbls are just as reliable as both have zero malfunctions (1.5 K+ with stock bbl, 300 rounds with CCFA bbl), but I just don't find myself using the aftermarket bbl anymore.

I normally wouldn't like to sell anything associated with firearms (extra sights, unused magazines, things of this nature) because I can almost always think of a "just in case" scenario reason to keep things around but 1) I'm not sure of legalities re:California and 2) I just don't get around to using it anymore.

Is there a reason that I should keep it as opposed to using the funds to buy a Makarov, new tritum sights or more practice ammo? I've never really sold anything (besided a POS Para back to the shop I bought it from) so I'm not sure if there will be sellers remorse from extras like this aftermarket barrel setup... thanks in advance for any input.

Krept,

I'm like you, I rarely sell things just because they don't get a lot of use. In your case, however, I think you have good reason to worry if you're going to be moving to PRK. I have a long time friend that lives there and his stories about the laws and the hassels he gets going to the range are downright scary. It might be better to sell the extra barrel and avoid possible problems because of it later on.

Just curious, but about how much does a set up like that run? I didn't know you could get aftermarket barrels for the USP.

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks for the input.

Aftermarket barrels are available from ccfa.com as well as Jarvis and Barsto and at least one other manufacturer local to Phoenix as far as I know.

CCFA threaded, o-ringed stainless barrel = $215 (standard length, non-threaded o-ringed bbls are $195 FYI)

Vortex flash suppressor = $98 solo, but if you buy the bbl, CCFA reduces the price to $75 (total $290)

I'm not sure of the other manufacturers, but if you are looking for a "NIB" bbl, I would recommend CCFA as their tolerances are very tight. These bbls are also rifled with the standard lands and grooves (as opposed to polygonal) so lead cast bullets are OK, although I have never used them with either the aftermarket nor the stock barrel so I cannot common as to how this affects function.

Here is a pic of the setup on a Tactical:
image14.jpg

My advice is that if you are going to go with the tactical (threaded, o-ringed) barrel, the flash suppressor is a good piece of equipment to put on there as well (I figured I might as well put the threads to a good, non-Class III use). Basically, I found that what http://ccfa.com/flash.htm said did live up to the hype.

Additionally...

I'm not going to move to PRK for a year or so, but even so I do not see the current legislation changing. I'm not sure, but I do think that having a threaded barrel in the same residence constitutes ability to assemble an assault weapon. Not necessarily the brightest reason to be charged with a felony and lose the right to firearm ownership IMO.

I can't really think of another reason to keep it other than the fact that it is good, albeit temporary, setup for the USP.

Any other input? At this rate, I'm thinking of putting my first post in the "For Sale" section pretty soon...

Krept,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this set up will work with a standard full size USP .45? Or do you have to start with the Tactical and then add the improvements?

Joe

Joe...

Yes, I have the stock full size USP .45 and bought the setup as a step to build it up to the Tactical. In addition to the barrel, the Tactical has the match trigger (also available to upgrade from the standard USP for $100 or so), an adjustable rear sight and higher front sight so one can see over a sound suppressor. The magazines of the Tactical have a slightly extended baseplate and TACTICAL is written on the side of the slide. Other than that, the pistols are identical in measurement, so one could swap parts without worry.

Best of luck...

I live in San Diego and I have the same gun. I haven't ordered my CCF bbl yet but I plan on doing so soon(standard length). If you do keep the barrel I would take it to the range. Its a cool thing to have but they are illegal in CA. I think you shoud sell it and if you still want a longer bbl then CCF does offer the longer barrel but it doesn't have to be threaded. Sorry to say its just going to be one of those things your really never going to use unless you shoot somewhere other than a range.

With no good reasons to keep it and the fact that I just purchased two new pistols, the barrel has to go.

Onslaught, if you are serious, I will sell the setup for $215 OBO, including express shipping and insurance. It includes the barrel, vortex suppressor unit, two extra o-rings and a screw-on thread protector.

Keep in mind - barrel has roughly 300 rounds through it (no more than 350). The only wear is slight polishing on the outside of the chamber where the the bbl meets the slide. No internal wear. It is stainless and I believe match grade with a polished feedramp. Flash suppressor might as well be new, no wear and is colored black. Zero malfunctions of any kind experienced, everything works exactly as described on CCFA's website.

It is important to me that the buyer be happy, so if you are not satisfied with it, I'll give a refund within a day or two of buyer's reciept of setup. Serious inquiries only, please.

More info at ccfa.com

khrept@yahoo.com if interested.

Back