USMC Shotgun Magazine Band

Was at a 3 gun match the other day and saw an extended mag tube brace-rather than the 2 flaps that all the ones have now-this one was flat and must have retained 2-3 inches of the barrel and mag extension plus had a swivel on one side..The guy couldn't remember where it came from-thought maybe shotgun news or somewhere, but thought it was called USMC something or other...Anybody seen anything like this or know where i can get one???? if you see one you'll have to have one...Dick

Yes, it is either a close copy of or a surplus bayonet adapter/magazine extension brace that was a part of the Marines Remington 870 Mark I shotgun. A Remington 870 with a 2.75" chamber, walnut stocks, parkerized finish, +3 magazine extension (Remington made and still available), 21" barrel, Williams type rifle sights, and that bayonet adapter/mag extension brace, which also had a sling swivel mount. Remington Arms had made the mount available to law enforcement agencies in the 70's, but I don't think they had it available for long.
Numrich Arms (formerly Gun Parts Corp.) had either stripped or semi-finished ones about 8 years ago for 15-16 dollars. They did not have a rifle front sight on them, but rather a bead sight (though photos from the Persian Gulf War show Marine boarding parties equipped with bead sighted 870 Mk.Is). Nor did they have the bayonet adapter/swivel mount attached or available. And one of the holes drilled in the side was not put into the right spot to fit with the magazine extension tube.
When Scattergun Technologies was owned by Roger Small, there was a Military model of their 870s with a bayonet mount/adapter/brace, and the part was available with an attached heat shield (specifically to fit 18" barrels). The part was around $100 back in the mid-90s. However, when I contacted Scattergun Tech, Bill Wilson had acquired them, and they had no such item available. I too am looking for a couple of them, and have had poor luck (should have grabbed the Scattergun Tech ones when I first saw them in the catalog). It is a hard to find item.

What you're describing sounds like what i saw but i don't remember seeing anything that made me think of bayonet. this thing looked strictly like a brace--the guy had it on a rifle sighted barrel and had cut out for the rifle sight and it made a killer looking rig....Thanks for all the info--Dick

The barce described really sounds like the one that was available from Gun Parts Corp./Numrich Arms. In order to use one's own rifle sights, a slot would need to be cut into the brace/bracket, and I also recall that the ones from GPC/Numrich had a side mounted swivel incorporated, though it really was not usable. I would imagine the person you saw had improved on the one included. Glad to help you.

Gonna bump this up to the top because I found a picture online that is of the barrel band that is likely exactly what you guys are talking about. Just thought I'd post it to see if it is or not.

12-gauge-dvic519.jpg

I think that picture show enough detail. You think?

[Edited by uglygun on 05-23-2001 at 10:46 PM]

the purpose of the rig is to add some weight and steel to the fron end for a secure bayo mount and to put some metal to the mouth if combat becomes close quarter.
also you should delete the first pic of the officer squids.

semper fi

Back