Using Preferred Barrels in a Savage Action

RC20

Some years back I decided to build a 7.5 Swiss on a Savage 110 bolt action.

The one company I could find that would do a 7.5 Swiss chambering was Lothar Walther (sp?) who has a US barrel branch. It was a bust. I got some fantastic groups out of it but I could not get any consistent repeats.

So, looking for a barrel maker that would do a 7.5 Chambering in a Savage pre fit, I found Preferred Barrels, did a bit of research and what recommends I could find were positive.

So I ordered one and its proven to be what 7.5 Swiss should be. I have gotten as good or better groups out of that barrel as the easier to shoot 6.5 Lapua (that one was a Shilen barrel who makes good to great barrels). The 6.5 was good, but not great. Happy with it but more 5/8 to 1/2 inch MOA groups.

4 years back the primers disappeared and while I had a good stock of large rifle primers, I did not have the same for small rifle primers (under a 1000 and for me now that is low)

So I ordered a 6.5 CM barrel from Preferred Barrel as that would enable me to keep shooting 6.5 (I love that caliber in the Lapua or CM size)

I scrapped through on Primers and have since shot out the Lapua barrel. Yea I do a fair amount of shooting.

I had not tried the 6.5 CM barrel as it would have meant dies and cases. I knew I would shoot out the Lapua barrel eventually and I can get cases from my brother.

Sunday was the first outing for the 6.5 CM barrel and once again I am impressed with PB.

I don't do ladders, I just start at the lowest powder fill in a powder that works in that cartridge and do a box of 50 in 5 of each and 1/2 grain increments.

I don't care for great results, I am just looking for what I define as a good pattern (clover type is great) and anything under 1 inch.

This time I already has Accurate 4350 in the hopper as I have found that to be a good 6.5 Lapua powder.

Started at 37.5 grains and up to 42 in the half grain increments.

All the 5 round groups were under 1 inch (some not by much) and one was a sweet 3/8 group (if I get 1/2 or under at 100 yards that is my definition of good)

I just grabbed my usual .015 off the lands as a start point for all the bullet seating.

I am beyond impressed. Granted its a sampling of two barrels from those folks but its also been two great barrels.

My take has been that 30 caliber barrels tend to one setup they are really good at. the PB 7.5 is good on a number of loads and powders/bullets.

The 6.5s I think tend to be decent all around but I sure did not expect that good out of just starter powder and bullet choice (Lapuas 120-S which I have been impressed with)

If you are building up a custom rifle they are well worth a consideration. recommend them as a good choice.

I have one that I ordered for a 25 PRC that I use on a Savage action. It shoots around .7ish +/- MOA which is OK; but at their price compared to a less expensive Shillen select match--ahhh, not that impressed.

Good to get an informed report.

Maybe just lucky then.

I do need to focus on the best results load wise and see how it is for consistent.

I'm just one person with one barrel--and just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people who've had great experiences with them. ;)

Back