Using Paintballs as Ammo for Percussion Cap Pistols

easmam

Inactive
My friends and I were talking recently about our percussion cap single shot replicas and the subject of paintball came up. Some paintball ammo comes in .50 cal, which is the same as our guns. We were wondering if we shot paintballs with patches from our guns using just a percussion cap or a cap and some powder if the paintball would explode in the barrel due to excess pressure or if it would leave the barrel intact and make it to a target. This would be a fun and safe way to shoot in our yards if it worked.

Depends on how sturdy the paintball is. My guess would be though that it would either melt or disintegrate in the barrel when fired.

there are some all rubber balls for real action paintball, those will work. I used .43 cal rubberballs for indoor .44 magnum ammo (just a magnum primer and the ball).
I wouldnt use standard paintballs, their gonna mess up your barrel...

I would be concerned about the heat and violence of the powder. I wonder if a sabot (ala inliner stuff) would help.

Frozen paintballs anyone?

My thoughts...

I would be skeptical.

1. If the paintballs come apart before leaving the barrel, you might wind up with a mess that is impossible to completely eliminate.

2. I like the idea of a sabot but I think I would use a patch instead. In this way the patch cleans the bore and (I would think) reduces the likelihood of the paint or the plastic from the ball fouling the bore.

3. Is either the paint or the plastic ball flammable?

4. What is the MV of a paintball fired from a CO2 platform in comparison to one fired from a weapon intended for use with lead balls? More appropriately, can the MV be kept low enough that the paintball does not simply come apart as it leaves the barrel?

5. I think I would start with smooth bore weapon rather than one with rifling. Easier to clean, Less chance of the rifling cutting the plastic.

Carrying this idea to the next level... Now don't laugh....

How about building a very small field gun which would fire a projectile made of about a dozen paintballs wrapped in a package, ala "grapeshot"? I am thinking of something that looks a good bit like a mortar.

The paintballs would be wrapped in saran wrap or some such. The seal round the projectile would have to be very good so as not to let the expanding gas escape between the balls.

The mortar would be made of inch or inch and a half plumbing fittings.

I am not kidding. I think this could work and could be done safely as long as the weapon is not over loaded.

4 .50 caliber balls might squeeze down a 1 inch bore. So using 12 you would have a shot charge an inch wide and an inch and a half deep. You still need a base to keep pressure from blowing past the balls. You could probably get by with a wad of tinfoil but the question is what are you going to shoot with it?
Best bet is a six pound Napoleon. :D

Compressed air can create a lot more MV then you would think , even those from paintball guns .
I built a small 32 cal air rifle one time using parts from a paintball pistol . She would crack just over 800fps

Edit :
i should clarify that that was using an older paint ball gun . its my understanding that many of todays better made air guns can push 500-900fps with . im not sure what the high end paint ball rifles are pushing .

Last edited:
Im surprised im the first to mention this.

It is not a generally smart idea to use a patched projectile of anykind in a percussion revolver.

Now, i asked this once to a guy who sells paint ball guns. According to him, the balls would explode inside the barrel. According to him the paint ball should be moving before it gets the full power of the charge. think daiser red ryder bb gun where the bb pellet gets pushed forward to reduce resistance before it gets air pressure.

but if you froze it, it would survive firing. however, it would be a lot lot more lethal.

Doc Here is a good example of that mortar

Looks kinda of like you were describing,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XLvlthXSs

As one who loves shooting black powder cannons and mortars. This is such a simple doable Idea..

I will bet you my 2 good socks that the charge is the bottom of a fire work mortar round (like they sell in the roadside stands).. With the fireworks replaces with a grapeshot type clear container.. I assume the "grapes" inside are paintballs

And the Mortar tube is just a cardboard or PVC tube if they are using firework charges..

Last edited:
I don't know about paintballs, but I have seen guys shoot light sticks from their smoothbore .62 calibers. They get them up in the air pretty good at night and they seem to hold together until they hit the ground.

Oh boy I was really worried about that video when he stated that there were more then one way to skin a cat.. I was really worried it was going to be a kitty snuff film... :D

I am not getting interested in paintball

I am not getting interested in paint ball

But Doc, they have cannon, mortars, howitzers, Laws, RPG's, motorized tanks you can ride in, full auto.:D:D:D

Wouldn't advise it...

Paintballs are launched at 260-300 fps. The most common is .68 which is 20 gauge. Most energy is imparted to the paintball in maybe the first 8" of the barrel, then ports bleed off excess gas. Paintballs get soft when hot and brittle when under 60 deg. Paintballs don't like spiral rifling. A tight fit causes them to hook. Rifled paintball barrels work best when the paint is loose. Gas blows through the rifling and prevents contact between the bore and ball. Conventional barrels are highly polished.

Tippmann made a propane powered paintball gun, but the propane explosion drove a piston that compressed the air that drove the paintball. Flame did not contact the paintball.

I think the violence of an explosive launch, the cylinder gap and the collision with the rifling portends a mess. Not sure how the paintball would like the flame either.

The resultant goo and broken shell would likely bake on to the barrel and require scrubbing like burned food in a pan.

Back