Using one or two hands while shooting?

Basil

I own a SIG P229 9.0 mm and I am just too proud of it. This is a very good gun and I have never had any problem with it. Usually, my wife and I go shooting every Saturday (she is using a .22 mm) and I usually fire between 200 to 300 rounds consecutively. Never had a single jam!
Being a registered athlete on Shooting I recon that it is compolsury to follow some very strict rules about the way of using your boby, eyes and hands while shooting. Personally, I find that after a couple of hours someone might feel excausted since it mightbe find be very harsh for the body muschles to be "accommodated" in some of the body positions.

Anyway, I am not that bad of a shooter.

When using "free style" positions and both hands grab with both eyes open the results are quite impressive! At least 30% higher accuracy!

Although this is understood, what is better to do in a mater of emergency if the situation arises? For those of you that are well trained it might sound as a silly question but it is a little bit confusing, at least in the begining.

Any advise?

Thanks

Based on proximity of target....two hands if you have DISTANCE and TIME.
If the target is so close that moving into a two-handed shooting position allows the gun within reach of the target then that position should be reconsidered.
Think "speed rock", where the gun comes out of the holster and immediately goes to a pointed position, allowing a shot virtually above the holster.

If there is time use two hands...

In that you can't predict what your shooting situation
will be like, become proficient (at least practice)
shooting with both hands, with only the right hand, and
with only the left hand. Practice shooting with a
flashlight in hand. Practice also manipulating
the pistol under different circumstances, including
reloading with only one hand, so that wtshtf you can
download a response from your brain rather than wondering
"what do I do now?".

Grossly oversimplified here, but something to work on.

Practice shooting both ways. If the light is good and the target is ten yards or more away use two hands and us your sights. If the light is bad and the target is close use one hand and point shoot using a point shooting system like Col Rex Applegate's.

As everyone else has stated, practice with both hands. Knowing how to shoot weak handed is important, maybe one should spend about 20% of the time learning how to do this. Just as important, shooting with the strong hand only is very handy, to include draws, clearing malfunctions and reloading.
In a quick situation, there really isn't time to get a two handed grip, it is draw and fire.
I observed several folks who appeared a bit lost in shooting one handed this weekend in an IDPA match. Several times their guns malfunctioned on them, or they would push it towards the target throwing the round.

Another thing to consider is your stance. if using two hands your full body is open for attack. If shooting with one hand you can turn your body sideways, leaving the attacker only 1/2 of a target, giving you a better chance of winning the gunfight.

Theres alot to learn and alot of practice to be done before any tactics can be used properly. Even the pros never stop training/learning.

Tim : )

Back