Using O/U shotgun sights

Puma prepper

Inactive
Hi i am wondering the purpose of the double beads on my new O/U . Do i stack them while shooting the bottom barrel ? I am use to my 870 witch has 1 silver bead . Please let me know if you can help thanks all :confused:

Do i stack them while shooting the bottom barrel ?
You stack them for both barrels

The gun shoots a 30+" pattern at common shooting distances, with barrels that are centered about 1.5" apart

There's no need to compensate

Stack them and if you have any more questions on point of aim vs impact get out 2 patterning boards and shoot them at 30 yards to see how each barrel fairs.

Unless you want the pattern to print high, you should superimpose them. In truth when you throw it up you shouldn't even be looking at the beads. The two beads are useful to some for checking the fit. Trapshooters like them stacked; everyone else no.

In my view, ideally you want them stacked like a figure 8 ( for all uses - not just Trap) ...but they are for alignment / not for "sighting"....the idea is to ideally mount the gun with your eyes closed - and as you open your eyes the 2 beads are stacked in a figure 8.../ if they are canted one way or the other, its a mount issue...if one covers the other / or if they are far apart ..then its probably a "Fit" issue. The reason we like a mid rib bead...is so we can evaluate our gun mount ...nothing else.

To determine if you have a "Fit" problem ...you need to go to the pattern board...and find the Point of Impact vs where you are looking ( your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun )...and a shotgun needs to hit where you look -- or there is some adjustment you need in terms of the amount of drop at comb or heel - or maybe both ...and maybe length of pull.

Once you mount a shotgun - and check the alignment of the beads...then you do not look at the barrel again ...you maintain the mount, but you shift your eyes to where you expect to see the bird, and only focus on the leading edge of the bird..and the beads ( mid rib - or front ) do not ever come into focus again.

And depending on how high you want your PIO some not only stack beads but want to see some rib between them. I don't have one, but I think those with an adjustable rib can set them up so that the gun will shoot high even if beads are super imposed.

When the beads are superimposed, the gun should shoot to point of aim. Unless as Dreaming stated you have an adjustable rib. You can shoot however you like, but that's the way they are made, except for trap guns, which are designed to print high.

When the beads are superimposed, the gun should shoot to point of aim.

My Browning O/U is set to shoot about 60/40, not 50/50. Many target guns for all disciplines tend to have the barrels regulated in a similar fashion while field guns are typically set to shoot "flat" or 50/50.

If the beads are superimposed one over the other...the gun will probably shoot flat with a 50/50 pattern...at point of impact.

But the point is, you don't adjust your mount to line up the beads in a figure 8 or superposed one over the other....as if they were a sight .../ the question is, when you mount the gun, what is the position of the beads... ( and if you like one superimposed over the other ...and the gun then hits where you look ...its probably fine ..........but if you mount the gun ...and they are way apart...you have a fit issue / or if one bead is far to one side..you probably have a fundamental mount issue.

If the beads are not lined up properly - it may be an issue of fundamentals ( mount, elbow position, etc )....or it may be a stock dimensional issue where the gun does not fit you properly ...( and you need to change one or all of the drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull ) in order to be successful with that gun and that stock configuration.

With a Figure 8 on my Browning O/U's, XS Skeet models, which are my general purpose guns ...Skeet, Sporting, 5 stand and upland birds.. on point of impact, my guns shoot a 60%/40% pattern .....my Trap dedicated Browning O/U's ...shoots to about a 75%/25% so I can float the bird above the barrel.

My Browning O/U is set to shoot about 60/40, not 50/50. Many target guns for all disciplines tend to have the barrels regulated in a similar fashion while field guns are typically set to shoot "flat" or 50/50.
I will take your word for that, and I am not being facetious. It has been a few years since I was working on guns and patterned any O/Us, but the ones I did pattern hit close to 50/50 with the beads superimposed, and that included Brownings, Berettas, and a Krieghoff.

Back