using hollowpoints at the range...

e a c

Inactive
I've read many times that certain ranges do not allow the use of hollowpoints. I can't think of any reason this is so. Anyone have the answer?

Maybe not THE answer, but AN answer.
Many ranges use a rubber material to prevent back splash and ricochets. The open mouth of hollow point ammo cuts a little "cookie" out of the material, eating it up at a much faster rate than round nose or semi-wadcutters.

Neil Casper

Supposedly the main reason is that the range doesn't want fragments flying around if the hollowpoint hits the metal clip/attachment device that holds up the paper target.

There's also the question of the possibility of more airborne lead particles due to the exposed lead of the hollowpoint bullet.....

Jwong, I had an experience with just that sort of thing. Had these two guys at the range trying out their revolvers. One of them hit the target clip, and I, in the next lane, felt something hit my shoulder. I checked myself and dropped a small but hot fragment of metal. No broken skin, though.

jth

A jacketed hollowpoint bullet is basically a copper cup filled with lead. The base of the bullet is the bottom of the copper cup. A full metal jacket bullet is also basically a copper cup filled with lead, but the base of the bullet is the top of the copper cup where the lead filling is exposed. Therefore, a FMJ bullet will generate more airborne lead than a comparable JHP bullet because its lead base is partially vaporized by hot propellant gases.

Back