Using headphones at night - A serious concern?

Anthrax

Hey guys!

I was wondering about this for a long time and need your input on this.

When your wife/girlfriend (Or the other way around for females) is sleeping right beside you and you want to use your laptop, probably watch a few firearm review videos etc, I'm sure the reasonable thing to do is to put on the headphones so that you don't disturb your partner.

I'm sure you know where this is going ....

Anyway, once those noise canceling devils are on, your situational awareness becomes zero. Presumably its dark, your laptop's screen is shinning in the dark right on your face, making everything pitch black in the background and since you have the headphones on, you won't even hear if a burglar has broken in to your house. Your partner might wake up but we all know that there are always a few sleepers who wouldn't even get up if a nuclear bomb went off right next to them :D

So anyway, just want to hear out from you guys whether you've thought about this too? Once in a situation like this, what are the things that one must do to ensure that your partner sleeps comfortably and you get to do your work/research/entertainment etc without being a disturbance.

Rain down them two cents!

I have used headphones at night (watched movies on ipod, etc). I also use headphones while hiking occasionally, probably not the best tactical move either. When I do, I use the old style wired phones (not the ones with the noise blocking rubber surround, or the ear muff style ones) and keep the volume just loud enough to hear what im listening to, while retaining about 80% of my normal hearing ability.

If you are really worried about it I would think the most sensible option would be to either move your laptop location away from your sleeping partner, or see if they would not mind ear plugs.

I have a Jack Russell and a pair of bulldog mixes. They'll make more noise than my computer earplugs, if anything happens that I should know about. So no, at home, I don't really worry about it.

I don't use earplugs while driving, riding a bike, or walking near traffic.

Forward theaters have restrictions against using earplugs while on roads or sidewalks on base (you can use them in the gym); they would be a definite no-go in the field.

But at home, dogs are a very good thing.

Our dog is a light sleeper and has a very loud bark, so earbuds at home are not an issue.
But when we are away from home I generally use 1 earbud and leave my "better" ear available.

I think a larger problem is hearing loss from having the volume so loud you can't hear a window break or a door getting kicked in.

Dogs, and keeping the volume low enough to hear them go nuts. I also don't disturb my wife with doing anything like that in bed - I tend to sleep better without a computer on my fat tummy.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable where you live. I'm sure there are safe areas in Pakistan just like there are places there you wouldn't want to be without a gun in your hand. You know your situation better than anyone here.

Personally, I don't feel the need to be "tactically aware" 100% of the time in my home.

Anyway, once those noise canceling devils are on, your situational awareness becomes zero.
That's my biggest problem with the iPod/cell phone generation. Those things severely hamper situational awareness.

Now, as far as headphones, there's not much need for noise cancellation if you're at home. Good open-backed headphones (also known as supra-aural) are a better bet. They're more comfortable, they present a wider soundstage, and they have better presentation of dynamic range in the mids and highs. Unless you're really cranking the volume, they won't bleed enough sound to be noticeable.

If we're talking about those Bose things, well, there are much better headphones out there at the price.

You should always have extra layers of security in your house. As some have already mentioned, a canine friend is usually enough to deter the casual criminal. Even if it doesn't, it should be able to alert you. I have a dog and an alarm system in my house. I do wear headphones when I am on the computer so I don't wake my daughter in the next room. I don't put them loud enough so that it blocks out all sound though.

Besides temporarily losing situational awareness, using earbuds can result in a 25% hearing loss over 4 years.

That means you will permanently lose situational awareness.

There are two of them right?

Only use one; I have been doing this for years.

I do this about every night upstairs and have zero problem hearing my dogs toenails clicking on the flooring downstairs; I also don't blast the volume, just enough to hear what I am listening to, I value my hearing greatly.

I've been using earbuds/phones a lot in the past 5 years, my hearing is fine. Hell, I listen to some loud, angry, and often distorted death metal and the like. I agree it's not likely good, but I'm fine.

That aside, I never really have a problem with it. I'm alone in the house, so I just keep the volume low. If I am elsewhere, or have visitors I usually don't have such a problem. My neighbors two sons are druggies, and known thieves. If I worried about all of it, every moment, every day, I would go insane. Not saying I'm right in the head but you get the idea.

Headphones can indeed hinder your senses, so can staring at a computer screen. So can sitting in a car, so can frustration, so can a child, so can alcohol, and worst of all, you could be cleaning your gun when someone breaks in! :eek: :rolleyes:

I never understood the logic of watching TV, reading, or similar distractions in bed. When I go to bed, it's for one of two things. If I want to watch TV, I have a fine chair to sit in.
Will it really matter if you have the earphones on while awake or are asleep when someone breaks in? If they're furtive enough, you won't wake up anyway.
Situational awareness is learned over a period of time. The logical approach to my home's entrance is across a wood deck just outside the my bedroom window. I have 60% hearing loss but am often awakened by cats or raccoons walking on the deck. I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to approach w/o waking me even in winter with the window closed. Rattletraps made with empty aluminum cans cover the less likely approaches. Easy, cheap, and nonthreatening.

Headphones cancel out noise even when muted; although I never used headphones in bed.

Put pots and pans on a counter and tie a string to them. Connect the string to the door and a string across the windows.

Laugh if you wish but I’ve done it and it works.

Use the headphones and live life on the edge.
+1, being aware of our surroundings and what is or is not happening around us is truly our first line of defense. That being said, IMO this can be taken to the extreme, and this may be a case of that. If anyone is so worried about their safety at home when using headphones they should strongly consider moving or giving up headphones all together.

As an aside, I always thought that there were better things to do in bed than watch gun videos when you have your partner with you. ;)

LOL @ Oldbear ;)

For sure, there are much more 'Interesting' things to do but what even an old 'bear' like yourself would understand that some days the mama bear just needs some sleep ;)

Excellent responses everyone!

I have an infra-red home warning alarm system in my house. Once you put the 4 digit code in at night, all the entrance points of the house are secured. If there's a breach, a warning siren rings and the the alarm company contacts you. If nobody picks up, they send over a team of 6 well armed guys who take positions and ready to deal with any threat while advancing.

If you DO pick up the phone, they ask you a YES or NO question which you've already shared with them when you were signing up. If NO means danger, they'll dispatch the guys. If you've triggered the alarm by mistakes, they'd re-confirm and then let you go.

Even with all this, I was concerned because once I was in Canada and was in my apartment with the earphones on. There was a break in next door and I only found out about it in the morning. If I wasn't using them, I could have been more aware of my surroundings. Thank God nobody was injured or harmed and all I kept thinking about was what if it was my home?

My home in Pakistan is secured. What I'm worried about is my other home which is in Canada. Only have a frying pan to defend myself with over there :D

Put pots and pans on a counter and tie a string to them. Connect the string to the door and a string across the windows.

Laugh if you wish but I’ve done it and it works.

No laughing, that would work...but I have 5 cats, too, and they'd knock 'em off for the heck of it, probably right about 2 AM...:eek:

If it is a concern.....just use an earphone in one ear. I do this every day at work and I can hear any out of the ordinary noise. Matter of fact, I bought a set and just cut one bud off with my knife so it is not dangling about.

Back