Using different guns in IDPA...

Tonyb357

Inactive
This summer I switched to revolver in IDPA...took a while but I got the hange of it..now I went back to my Glock 17...I sucked last night.....how do you balance using different guns and still keep competitive.....or maybe you don't..should I just stick to one gun??

I have shot in all Divisions of IDPA and several of IPSC, but I have (nearly) always shot one gun at a time for a year at a time. After the IDPA Nationals, I pick what I am going to shoot for the next full year. I am not so "tactical" as to compete with my carry gun, but I carry a gun of the same action type as what I am currently shooting in matches.

If you want to shoot your Glock, shoot your Glock. Period. You will get familiarized with it and back to normal in a few weeks if you practice.

For a while I was going back and forth with several of my guns (went almost a year never using the same one)
It definatly helps your game to shoot only one, but I generally shoot for fun and to see how I do with a random gun on any given weekend. No tactical reason, I just like to have a recreation and I hate golf.
:)

My "Practical" in IPSC / USPSA

I compete with my carry guns (currently five separate frame size/types, including two revolver frames and three auto frames).
I don't worry about 'winning' at this particular game; I worry about winning the non-game.
I find it forces me to concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting.

I often bring many along and decide what to use rightthen.

Just me.
It ain't golf, ay?

My first IDPA match I shot my Witness 41 AE.

Last edited:
Golf was invented by the scots after the British kicked their butts and disarmed them. :p

Today it is a poor replacement for the hunt.

I usually try to train for a certain event, and use the appropriate gear. In the Spring, it was a single stack match (load 8+1). For most of the Summer, it was our state IDPA Championship (9+1), so I was using a 5" single stack from IDPA gear, even when I shot IPSC. Now, I'm "gearing up" for USPSA Area 1 (10+1), so I'm competing and practicing with my IPSC race rig. I'll still shoot four or five different guns per year, but I try to focus on preparation for specific events, to build consistency.

Back