Using 38 S&W (?) in SW638?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am trying to find a low recoil practice load for the 638. Thought of handloading 90gr ball but have no press and would really rather not start on it now. Any thoughts on using "obsolete" loads for plinking ball?

You can't use .38 S&W in a .38 Spl./.357 Mag. chambered gun.

The .38 S&W has a large case and won't fit into the .38 Spl. chamber.

The .38 Spl. was, effectively, a dead-end cartridge developmentally.

When S&W developed the .38 Spl. to provide a round with great power than the then military standard .38 Long Colt, they started with the Long Colt case and lengthened it so that it would hold more powder.

You're best off handloading low powered ammunition, as .38 Long and .38 Short Colt (which was developed into the .38 Long Colt) aren't widely available anymore.

But, since you don't have a press, your very best bet is to look for low-power 148-gr. wad cutter.

A range I used to go to here in Virginia also carried a line of 110-gr. lead reloads that we used to introduce complete newbies to shooting. I THINK the manufacturer was CP--Competition Proven ammo.

Hate to disagree with Mike but some .38spec and .357mag chambers will accept the .38 S&W. Depends on the individual gun.

Even if they fit, extreme caution should be used as the nominal bore size of the .38S&W is .361 and they can be found with bullet diameters ranging from .357 to .362. Would not be good to fire a .362 bullet through a tight bored (a few as tight as .3535) .38spec/.357mag bore.

I have an older (Bangor Punta) model 19 that likes .38 S&W.......and strangely enough it has been a tack driving match winner with it's proper ammunition. Sometimes loose isn't always bad.

But.....when in doubt, don't.

Sam

Oleg, I'm glad to read you snagged that DEAL.

Depending on just how fond of the gun you become, you may want to consider a .22LR 'stand-in'. Taurus makes their steel M94 in a 2" snub configuration with a 9-shot cylinder. Of course, there are always some used steel Smiths to be found, though I don't think you'd ever find a similar deal on one of THEM.:D I don't care for the aluminum 8-shot Smiths at all, but they may be attractive to you. Until then, any 148gr WC loads you can find will likely be the easiest to shoot with.

Figgured that might draw out your nausia Mike.:)

Actually, I have had quite a few BPs and they have all served well. Some needed a lot of help getting them dialed in. Single action nearly always sweet but double action on most varied from abomnible to realy bad. All correctable tho.

Sam

Keep in mind also that a box of 38S&W will usually cost you way more than a box of 38Spl. I know you said low recoil, but you should be able to find a nice light load out there. If not, look up a commercial reloader. I used to frequent a shop that would custom load anything for you as long as you bought a minimum amount.

I passed on that 638 because of recoil concerns. It is at Bill's Gun Shop in Robbinsdale, MN and they want $230 for it. New one runs $440 at the same place.

.38 Spl. 148 grain wadcutter

This is a powder-puff load!

I use it for target practice with my 638, and have no problems with recoil.

This load is also accurate in my model 66.

-Mk.IV

Back