User bribes

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
2 weeks ago, I set up a new machine for one of my users.

Last Friday, he asked if I could remove NT from it and install Whine98.

Grrr. Snarl. "Why?" I asked, in a not-very-helpful voice.

"Well, some of my software doesn't like NT."

Sigh. Fine. Took the last hour of the last day of the week to back up his data, wipe his machine, and install 98, which doesn't like the new boxes and requires a good bit of bullying to work.

While I was doing the restage, we small-talked. This guy is a gunnie, so we talked about the G20 I was looking at while the install and reconfig was happening. I apparently made the guy feel guilty about the extra work...

He just stopped by my office and dropped off a box of American Eagle 10mm.

Some days, I love my job. :D

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.." Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

"Well, some of my software doesn't like NT."

when then.... start buying real work software instead of game software!!!!

Yeah, what Crash said. I get more entertainment out of watching Exceed burst into flames than I do from bashing antis!

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.." Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Coinneach, if you can get back up a users local data, wipe NT and install 98 in one hour you are 10th degree black belt among desktop support types. You deserved that box of ammo and the right to watch an Exceed installation turn all your users' windows into light orange on yellow backgrounds. Ecch! Exceed!

Quite seriously guys, what's wrong with Exceed? I've been using it for several years without a single burp. (NT SP3 connecting to Solaris 7.0 via ISDN).

ckurts, I've been doing desktop gruntwork since age 9. Literally. An hour is about average for me, but it's taken some refinement to get to this point.

Mal, you should stop by this place sometime. Exceed 6.1 on everything from Whine95a to NT4SP5, connecting to AIX boxes over CAT5. Ick.

Someday I'll just say "Enough!" and push Redhat to all the desktops...

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Back