used tumble media.

Now I wet tumble so the tumbling liquid gets dumped & rinsed away in my rock driveway next to my garage. Back when I vibratory tumbled I would let the media get so dirty it stopped cleaning the brass, then I would change it out. I would put it in an old Walmart bag tie it up & toss it it the trash can.

Dry is just crushed walnut shells or corn. Mind you, it's usually coated in toxic chemicals. It's going to a land fill.
Solved the issue by accidentally knocking my tumbler over and using the vacuum cleaner. snicker.

Into the trash in a sealed bag.

As was noted in the days of removing ballasts that had PCB, the levels are so low and scattered out, dumpster disposal is approved of.

Land fill is sealed. Some day they may dig up (after they get all methane out) and process for the metals.

Wet might be best put down the toilet as that goes through the processing system and not storm drain going directly into the environment.

We were told to do that with Ethylene Glycol. Just don't slug it, mix it.

The toilet is what I use. I also am careful to use a citric acid cleaner, as it chelates the small amount of lead present and renders it less toxic. Probably not perfect, but I feel better about it.

I actually tumble in citric acid alone for about half the time, then I pour most of the water out (not enough to lose pins), add soap flakes and top the water back up. The soap is alkaline, so I don't trust the citric acid to work very well in combination with soap. I just let it get the oxide off the brass and the lead compounds out of the solution before neutralizing it with soap. I'll have to get my old pH meter out to see what is actually happening in this regard.

I don't wet tumble so nothing go's down the drain (I do have a septic system and a well) but have been thinking lately on how to dispose of the media and spent primers for that matter.
what I'm thinking is Ill just pick up a few empty paint cans and put it all in a few...take it to the local waste drop off...like you do with old paint and other hazmat materials and let them deal with it.
just wanted to see how others treated it.

Matt.

Back