Used SRH w/ top strap drilled & tapped

Russell P

I am looking at a used SRH that had the top strap drilled ad tapped. Will this weake the frame?
Frot hole strongest part of frame.

Keyoard screwed up. Graddaughter spilled soda o it

Any holes put in the top strap of the frame will weaken the gun.

If the price is VERY good and you do not plan shooting +P loadings there may be
no problems.
Why in the world would someone drill and tap a gun with the strongest scope mounts
made?

Standard 44 Magnum loadings are 36,000 psi and the +P loads push 46,000 psi
very hot loadings.

Technically correct. But not the important question. The important question is "DOES IT MATTER???"

And the answer is generally, no.

If the price is VERY good and you do not plan shooting +P loadings there may be
no problems.
Why in the world would someone drill and tap a gun with the strongest scope mounts
made?

Standard 44 Magnum loadings are 36,000 psi and the +P loads push 46,000 psi
very hot loadings.
I wondered the same thing.

"...will weaken the gun..." No it won't. How do you think the rear sight is put on? Scope mount holes are D&T'd all the time. And the strength of a revolver is in the cylinder.
"...+P loads..." There is no SAAMI standard for +P .44 Mag.

jaguarxk120 said:
Yes ... and no.

As 44 AMP asked: "Does it matter?" The answer is not.

As my structural engineering professor expressed it, "Stress goes where there's material there to resist it." While removing material technically "weakens" the area where the material is removed, the stress that would otherwise have run through that area is simply transferred to surrounding material. If the surrounding material is already stressed to its limit, that's a problem. However, that's almost never the case. Look at an aircraft spar. The center portions (the "webs") are almost entirely holes, with just enough material left between the holes to maintain the outer flanges at the proper distance apart.

For something as small as a scope mount screw, I think this is a non-issue.

Several years ago Handloader magazine published loading data that is in the +P
area for just the Redhawk and FA revolvers.
They went so far as to say use only in Ruger Redhawk guns.
The rear sight elevation hole is placed where the top strap is the thickest in cross section.

Please note the proof pressures for the 44 magnum are at 48,500 psi and the
454 Casull is at 87.500 psi. The SRH will take those pressures with a safety margin.
The hole that is drilled and tapped is a bargaining point to lower the selling price of the gun.
The original owner made changes to the gun not the factory. Where does one go IF
the gun fails? The maker or the owner that made changes to the gun.

By the way what is the asking price of the SRH?

The closest hole to the barrel is well into the meat of the top strap

Am not deliberately meaning to sound rude, but my first thought in response to that was, "so what??"

There is more than enough metal (even with scope mount holes) to handle the stress and then some.

If the work was done properly, its not a safety concern, nor a durability concern. Market value, on the other hand depends on buyer whims and wishes, and one man's "improvement" can be another's "desecration".

That will have an effect on the price a buyer is willing to pay...

Back