Used scopes?

littlephil

Howdy all, I'm wondering if there are any scope brands or models that should absolutely be avoided. I'll probably be in the market for a couple rifle scopes in the near future, and I'll also most likely be on a pretty tight budget (I know, those shouldn't go together). I just looked through 8 or 9 pages on eBay, and there seems to be some pretty good deals to be had. However, I'm definitely not going to be able to get a big name ($$$) scope even used, but I don't want to spend say, even $40, on something that was probably junk from the factory. I've heard to stay away from certain brands or models of this and that before, especially with scopes, I just wanna hear your opinions on the matter.
Thanks for any input y'all may have!

A scope for what? Different specs for different needs. For $40 you're probably lumped into the Tasco/Simmons/Bushnell group. I have several new and old and they are ok.

If you really look on ebay you might be able to find one of the major scope brands that has lifetime warranties. Then they would rebuild/service it for free.

Shop for pre-owned scopes with warranties that follow
the scope no matter how many people have owned it.

Vortex & Leupold come to mind.

Blindstitch, I'll be needing scopes for a couple hunting rifles. I really don't need anything fancy, just something that'll work. I'm not looking to do any long range competing or even hunting with these rifles, I'll probably practice and hunt out to 200 yards or so. I've used tasco scopes for quite a few years on various rifles without problems, I currently have a bushnell banner that I bought brand new about 5 years ago but haven't shot the rifle much since to see how it'll hold up. I've also got an older Simmons on a k98 sporter I acquired over the winter that seems to be ok.

Sr420, I'll check into what brands have warranties, but I really doubt I'll be able to afford a vortex or leupold. Things could change however, as it'll probably be a little while yet before I even make any purchases. The rifles that I'll need scopes for still need finished, so that's gonna take my funds first. I'm mainly looking for info on what to really stay away from no matter how good the deal seems.

I've heard most newer scopes are fairly good for the most part, and that all brands turn out a lemon or two every so often. Just looking for some input and appreciate the input so far!

As mentioned, if used is your only option, buy based on the warrantee. Wouldn't touch Simmons myself, but Bushnell's warrantee is on the product, not who bought it. And it covers accidental damage.
In any case, you're as likely to find BNIB stuff on sale in a gun shop. A gun shop doesn't give money to the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Cabela's currently has Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x-9x-40 with a bore sighter on sale for $99.99. Free shipping too.

...Cabela's currently has Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x-9x-40 with a bore sighter on sale for $99.99. Free shipping too...

I just picked up one of these - in the store you also get a $10 gift card and military/LE got another $10 off over the weekend (that last $10 is now expired). Of course it's not a top quality scope but for the money, it's pretty good. It'll do for a little project I'm working on.

I'd rather go new than take a chance on used off eBay.

For $150, you can get a 2-7 Nikon prostaff or Burris FFII, or a Weaver 4X.
If you're not in a hurry, you can pick out a few scopes you like, and wait for a sale or a rebate.

I purchased a Simmons scope from eBay for less than $50.00. It is the Pro Hunter Series featuring 2-7X settings. Good bright scope that is built sturdy for hunting in rough country. I like Bushnell and Redfield products, too.

Jack

Thanks for the info so far guys. Like I said, I really doubt I'll be getting a leupold or anything in that class, even the lower end ones. But then again you never know.

Thanks jack, I've seen quite a few Simmons scopes for what seemed like decent prices. I just don't know much about em. I also saw some tasco world class, and different Bushnell scopes fairly reasonable. I've heard good things about the world class, but don't remember what I've heard about the pronghorns. Although I can get a new pronghorn locally for around $50, I'm just not sure how good they are.

Thanks again for the input, keep it coming!

You might pick up some refurbed Nikons from Natchez Shooter Supply. Or, the lower end Bushnells would probably work just fine.

I bought a Simmons 8 point last year and it was a lot clearer than past scopes I've had in the same class. And it must have been a good omen because the first deer shot with it on the rifle was an 8 point.

You do know that Tasco, Simmons and Bushnell are all owned by the same company. http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-8-Point-Truplex-Riflescope-3-9x40mm/dp/B001RMWTJA

Last year simmons had a rebate for all scopes over $50 so I think in the long run it only cost $20.

603, I didn't know anybody sold refurbished scopes, I'll have to check into it. Thanks for the tip!

Blindstitch, I had no idea they were all owned by the same company, that's good to know. I'm glad the Simmons you bought worked out. I'll have to see how the one I've got does. Thanks for the info.

i would shop around for a used leupold at yard sales,flea markets or thru friends, as they will service or replace it if it goes bad. i have only sent several scopes back for repair in over 50 years. one was a three week old tasco that was sent back for a shifting crosshair, if i paid 80.00 they would send me a new one, i said no thanks. the other,s were used leupold i bought that they repaired(two and one replacement) with out charge and free return postage. eastbank.

A dealer called SWFA has a side business in (mostly) demo scopes at http://www.samplelist.com/ , Barska to Zeiss and everything in between. You have to do the homework to compare the "New" retail price, but I suspect there is less risk than buying used on EBay.

If you're on a tight budget , look at fixed power , non-tactical scopes . They are not " in fashion" right now and even used are usually a good buy. With no moving parts...less to go wrong . I bought a used fixed 4 power Weaver K4 in 1971 and I'm still using it.
The brand new Weaver Classic K4 sells for $160.00. I just looked at ebay and there is a K2.5 for $60.00 and a K4's for $50.00 to $75.00 . Nobody was bidding on any of these either and most had a buy it now price .
The weaver Marksman scopes were selling for $20.00...I have no experience with these.
But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Weaver fixed K Series , they were rugged and not much to go wrong with them. The 4 power has served me well , most of the time an adjustable gets sighted in and left at one power.

Gary

Eastbank, I'll definitely keep an eye out, but most people around here want top dollar for pure junk anyway.

Crock, thanks for the link. I skimmed through their stuff a little but I bookmarked the site so I can check it out later. I'll definitely keep it in mind though, from what i saw, it looked like they had some decent deals.

Gw, I know where you're coming from there. I think the only time I ever turn the power up on my scopes is to try and see holes in a target. I'll definitely look into some fixed powers between now and when I'm ready to buy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'd still like to hear about any other brands or models anybody has has trouble with, or ones that perform great for you. All other comments and info are appreciated as well.

My first rule of thumb is look at the under side and see where it was made. Japan good, china bad.

For effect: JAPAN GOOD, CHINA BAD.

To avoid? I am not sure that any brand names stand for much these days. Avoid China.

To look for. Anything Leupold. But used Leupold are not cheap either. Good seldom is.

Most if not all Bushnell from Japan were top optics. And generally good solid scopes. I never had a bad one, but they are not Leupold either.

Nikon seems like good optics across the board. The eye relief on the Nikon pistol scopes is a very very serious problem. The rifle scopes seem good.

Some of the top target grade Tasco from japan are good. I have a couple, real nice.

Buyers and sellers alike, often dont know the difference from a Japanese Bushnell or Tasco and the Chinese model. A shopping opportunity for the savy buyer. Best deals found in local shops, not so much on eBay.

I'll second the kudos for JAPAN made Bushnell scopes. I have an Elite 3-9 X 50 on my Sears .270 (FN Mauser) and it's quite bright, very sharp, never an issue.

If you want a cheap hunting scope, you can get by with China. It seems to be the only thing gun related they can make. What is the difference anymore? Most US companies outsource parts anyway. I would take a Chinese SINGLE POWER scope over an older Redfield or Bushnell. The clarity difference is obvious. I would not buy any Chinese adjustable power scope. Years ago I put a cheap, short, Chinese scope on my twelve gage single shot. I figured I had nothing to loose. Not one American company would guarantee a rifle scope on a shotgun. I still have it on and know I have at least 100 rounds through it. The recoil on a single shot with slugs is pretty nasty.

Back