Used S&W Model 60

Boo586

A gun shop here in town has a barely used model 60 with a 3" barrel and adjustable sites for $299.00. How good of a price is this on this gun. I haven't seen it yet, so i don't know if it has a frame or hammer mounted firing pin. I need to go see it. Money is tight, but if it is an unbelievable deal I will get it.

Need Help fast!!

Boo586

I would say it's a pretty good deal. I just picked up a NIB 36-6, (adj. sights, full underlug) for a little more and I think I got a good deal :)

Hey Boo;

The Standard catalog places aproximate value at:

VG-----$265.00

EXC---$300.00

I would think that if you could ge the "out the door" price somewhere between these two, you would be doing good.

If it's tight and the trigger feels good, and it doesn't look like it was dragged down the interstate, I'd consider it an excellent buy, even at the $300. If it were a little closer to home (lower Alabama) I'd be racing you to it!

I have a vintage model 60, .38 Special
that I bought used (LNIB) in Oct of 98
for the sum of $249.95. Found it at my
local dealer, here in central Alabama.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Whoops, forgot to mention that this is a newer SS model in .357 magnum.

Looks like I need to talk to the wife. Hope I get a Christmas bonus.

Boo586

There is a .357 model 60 in the Cabela's store in East Grand Forks selling for about $400. I've seen them selling around this neck of the woods for anywhere between $350-$425, but this is probably high, they seem to be quite popular around this area. I paid $250 for a mint condition model 60 38 Special earlier this summer, so the 38's don't seem to garner quite the same attention as the more powerful .357's. Still, I'm quite happy with my model 60 and a limited diet of +P hydra-shoks.

When you checkin it out, with the cylinder open, pull the cylinder release toward the rear and look at the hole in the recoil plate below the firing pin hole. This is the rear cylinder pivot and latch hole. If it is not round.....pass on the gun. It will be oval if fired a lot and is expensive to fix. Wear there would indicate probable wear at the front latch and elsewhere too.

Here is a great thread on revolver check out by Jim March. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Sam.

I paid $350.00 out the door, for my NIB Model 60 back in the late 80's and that was a very good price back then. They were selling for $400.00 plus tax and I thought that I got a very good deal on mine. I believe that they have stopped making the Model 60 in .38 special these days but still make it in .357 mag...

7th

Back