Used Revolvers

Coronach

Ok...I *KNOW* that someone once posted a pretty good write up on what to look for in a used revolver. I KNOW it was on this site (TFL). I simply cannot find it via search. Anyone know where it is? In lieu of finding it, anyon want to write a good step-by-step of how to buy a good used revolver (what to look for, what to avoid, etc)?

Thanks,
Mike

A few things to look for...

1. Over all condition. The condition of the exterior COULD be an indication of how hard it has been used, or abused. A well-worn finish may or may not be a consideration. A surface that is badly scratched, dented, dinged, etc., is of greater concern.

2. Cylinder. Look at the crane where it meets with the frame. The seams should be even with a tight fit. Gaps could be indicative of a bent crane. Lockup/unlocking should be smooth, without binding.

The chambers should appear to be round. I've seen guns where they are out of round, indicating serious overloads have been fired.

With the cylinder closed, try moving it back and forth along the same axis as the barrel. Anything more than just a hairbredth's movement is endshake. The more endshake, the worse the problem.

The cylinder should spin freely, and the ejector/extractor should operate smoothly without binding.

Look at the indexing notches on the cylinder. They should be smooth, free of burrs or galling. If they're significantly worn, or burred or galled, I'd suggest passing on the revolver. This can be expensive to repair.

3. Timing. The cylinder bolt should engage correctly, locking the cylinder into place when the gun is operated both in single and double action. Retard the cylinder lightly with your thumb and slowly cock the hammer. With the hammer at full cock, the cylinder should be locked. If it is out by a few hundredths of an inch, that's not a big problem. But if you have to rotate the cylinder more than about 1/32nd of an inch to get it to lock up, that's a potential problem.

Do the same thing double action, looking for the same results.

A timing problem could be the result of worn indexing notches (see cylinder section) or it could be a problem with the hand. Either one requires the services of a competent gunsmith to repair.

4. Forcing cone. Look for errosion or cracking. Light errosion is OK, but a crack in the forcing cone means that you should pass on the gun, as it will need a new barrel.

5. Trigger operation. Should be smooth, without dragging, grinding, or sticking. Heavy is OK, as the springs can be changed. Dragging, sticking, or grinding could be caked gunk in the works, or it could be a bent or broken part.

6. Hammer operation. Cock the hammer and then try pushing it out of engagement with your thumb. Use heavy pressure. If the hammer falls without your finger on the trigger, someone has likely tried to do their own "gunsmithing" and has ruined the single action notch on the hammer and/or the sear on the trigger. This can be expensive to repair, and is a good reason to pass on the gun.

7. Muzzle crown. Should be smooth and even, without nicks or dents.

That's a quick & dirty rundown, just off the top of my head. There are other things that you should also look for, but the ones above are the important ones.

Real brief, and assuming that the purpose is CCW or home defense.

Avoid very old, exotic or obsolete guns, like break tops or single actions unless you are a collector or into CAS. Stick with U.S. guns, Colt, S&W, or Ruger.

1. Check barrel cylinder gap (about .006 - buy a feeler gauge if you don't have one)
2. Avoid guns with battered screw heads on the sideplate; some one has been in there, and probably not to the good
3. Avoid too light a trigger pull - same thing
4. Check timing and lockup. Colts will often not fully lock up on single action until the trigger is pulled, and S&W's usually have a little rotational play.
5. Check end shake, the horizontal motion of the cylinder.

Judge the above by comparison with a new gun of the same type.

Don't worry about finish unless you are a collector. If you want pretty, buy a new gun and put it in a glass case. If you want a using gun, many police turn ins were carried a lot but hardly ever fired. Finish is poor, but functioning is like new, and you won't be worrying about a little wear. (Like a used car with a dent; you don't worry about a scratch or two more.)

Jim

Thanks, Zander...

I've got a full-length article on this that I wrote and posted on the old Firearms Forum board over on Compuserve...

I'll have to dig it off one of these days.

Thanks for the post Mike. For just coming off the top of your head, you did a heck of a job. Am going to pass it on to a couple buddies who always ask for an "opinion" and see if it helps cut down on the inquiries.

Snake

Courtesy of an excellent post from K-frame

I'll explain what I look for, from muzzle to butt.

(Note: This is criteria for a "shooter", not a collectable.)

1.Open the action and make certain the gun is unloaded.

If you set the gun down to turn around and sneeze, when you pick it up again, check it again. It is a mistake to assume that a gun is unloaded just because it is for sale, in a gun shop, or at a gun show!

2.Look at the muzzle.

Are there any dings, nicks, etc. at the crown?
If so, it will effect accuracy and costs about $30 to fix.

3.Look at the front sight.

Bent, dings, flats where there should be corners?
That may indicate a dropped gun and should warn you to examine the rest of the gun very closely.

4.Hold the gun up to the light and look at the barrel exterior from an angle.

The reflected lines of light ought to be straight; a bulged barrel may show up as a wave in the line.

5.Check again that the gun is unloaded.

Look down the muzzle and shine a bore light into it from the cylinder end.

(If you don't have a bore light you can reflect light into the barrel with you thumbnail.)

The edges of the rifling should be sharp.

Rounded or faint rifling indicates MUCH use.

In addition, a dark ring may indicate a bulge.

6.With the action open, GENTLY spin the cylinder. If the ejector rod wobbles it may indicate a bent ejector rod, which usually costs about $25 to fix.

7.While you've got the cylinder open, look at the forcing cone of the barrel.

Pits, scratches, and cracks are bad, usually requiring barrel setback or replacement.

May cost $40-$300 depending on the model to fix.

8.Close the action.

Look at the gap between the crane and the frame.
Less is better. Gently push side to side on cylinder.
The gap should not change much at all.
Again, less is better.

9.Look at the stop notches on the cylinder.
Peening of the notch indicates a lot of DA shooting and may mean timing problems.

10.Look at the chambers.
Check for bulges, scratches, cracks (GOD FORBID), etc.

11.Push the ejector rod. It should move smoothly and snap back when released.

If it doesn't, it may indicate a bent rod, or rust inside the works.

12.Look at the underside of the topstrap, directly above the barrel/cylinder gap. With .357's on up, after a lot of use a line will be cut into the topstrap.

This is pretty much a self-limiting problem (it won't ever cut through) but it'll give you an idea how much use the gun has seen.

13.If adjustable sighted, examine the rear sight.

Make sure the screws turn, that the blade moves when screws turn, that the blade is firm when the screws are left alone, that the blade isn't bent.

Rear sight replacement on a S&W is usually $60 or so.

14.Check to make sure the gun is unloaded.

If so, cock hammer to SA. With about 10-15 pounds of thumb force, try to push the hammer down.

If it falls without pulling the trigger, there are bad things going on inside, and the gun is dangerous.
It may cost $30-$100 to fix.

15.Now, pull the trigger and hold it rearward.
Wiggle the cylinder to check for rotational play.

I check for this on all chambers.

Less play (what I call "wobble") is better.

16.If the seller will allow it, dry fire the gun both DA and SA through all chambers.

Check for sticking, failure to rotate, glitchy trigger pull, etc.

17.Slowly cock the action & while you do so, drag a finger on the cylinder. What you are checking for is that the cylinder stop engages the stop notches before the hammer reaches full-cock. Dragging the finger will prevent rotational momentum from finishing the rotation. If the stop doesn’t click into place prior to full-cock on all chambers, odds are that the hand is worn and will probably cost $25-$40 to fix. If it fails to click into place on only one or two chambers, it is likely that the ratchet is worn and needs replacement. That usually costs $50-$75 to repair.

18.Not really a mechanical issue, but look at all the edges and lettering.

Also, look at the screw heads.

Rounded out features generally indicate refinishing by someone who didn't know what they were doing, or that the gun was in very bad shape and required a lot of polishing.
Buggered up screws generally mean that some idiot without proper tools or know-how got to the insides.

In this case, I would demand to look at the internals for rust/wear before I paid a cent.

That is pretty much as complete a mechanical evaluation that can be done without disassembly.

You will of course want to look at the finish and the grips and take it all into consideration with the asking price.

I may be forgetting a couple things.

If anyone has anything that they check for that I haven't listed, I'd love to hear it.

Hope this was helpful, -Kframe

p.s.-I've gone back and added the points that Malpaso made, so it'll be easier to cut and paste if you want to print a copy to bring along shopping.

Back