Used Remington 700P

ks_wayward_son

I decided to go ahead and possibly purchase a .308 of some kind instead of "another 1911." I already have a few ARs in standard 5.56/.223 so thought I should add something that would stretch the yardage. It will pretty much be a range toy for blasting fun, not really wanting to go hardcore long range yet. Plus, it would be great to round out a top three in calibers; 9mm, 5.56, and the .308 ammo shortage notwithstanding.

So Arms Unlimited has used 700p's on sale for a pretty attractive price...this is definitely a possible splurge purchase.

I already have a Savage 110 in .30 06, but would like a .308.

A total NOOB question about bolt actions. Are the .308 Winchesters and 7.62 NATO rounds interchangeable in a bolt gun? No concerns about pressure tolerances like in ARs chambered in 5.56 vs .223? (See, total noob):o

If I do get one I will have to research the crap out of possible optics for it. Off the top of my head I am thinking either a Vortex PST or something along the lines of the Burris XTR series.

Go with a used 700p for 750.00?

There are differences in max pressure between 308 and 7.62X51. But the reverse of 223/5/56. The military 5.56 CAN be loaded to higher pressures than the civilian 223, and theoretically shooting 5.56 in a 223 chamber could cause issues. It probably won't, but there is a remote possibility.

With 308/7.62 it is the civilian 308 that is loaded hotter. You won't have any issues shooting 7.62 in a 308 bolt rifle.

I would be wary of a used Remington M700. If its a new model, the quality has been hit or miss lately. If its older, I wouldn't be concerned. There usually is a reason a M700 is available used....

If you want a very accurate rifle, look at the Tikka and Bergara rifles. Usually cheaper that the SPS, and probably more accurate.

I went with Bergara. Its bases on the M700 action, and all aftermarket parts will fit.

The HMR is a sweet rifle.

I have not heard any reports on recent production 700's but they definitely have ups and downs in quality control.
Tikka is better made but the accessories will cost a lot more for one than Remington and there's less of them. If there's a Tikka in a configuration your satisfied I'd choose it over anything else in the under 1K category.
I like to buy 700's when they go on sale at walmart, send them to Douglas or E.R. Shaw for a new barrel in something fun and different, all in for less than 1K normally.
Have them return the new take-off barrel and either sell it or save it for when I sell the gun.
Probably not something your interested in if your a 308 guy.
I have 700 action right now can hardly wait for a 6mm Creedmoor barrel.;)

I was gifted 2 Remington 700 Police rifles last year, both 308s. Both shoot sub-MOA. Both have heavy fluted barrels, one 24", the other 20". One is stainless, the other is blued. Both have HS Precision stocks with full-length bedding blocks. Neither is light weight, though, both weigh in over 11 lbs. Would I pay $750 for one? Sure, if I was looking for a target rifle, they're worth it.

Scorch, exactly why I went with one. 24 inch heavy barrel in .308. Cool new toy to dink around with longer ranges. Wanted to round out my calibers. Now for an optic and wishful thinking on ammo.

Before you pull the trigger (pun intended) check CDNN. They had them a month or so ago in the same price range that you mentioned.

Several years ago, I bought a 700P in .223 with a 20" fluted barrel. It too is in an H-S precision stock and best of all has a 40X trigger. It is sub MOA with run of the mill reloads using a hunting scope, VX-2 leupold. I just got some Lapua brass and some match bullets. I am going to work up a super accurate load for coyote hunting this fall.

You will like yours.

Back