Used Python or a new 610?

Peter M. Eick

I recently went revolver shooting after a long pause and found it very enjoyable. (Mostly I shoot pistols of the 10mm variety) It got me thinking that I should get another revolver. I only have one, a Diamondback, but it has always been my favorite.

What I have come down to is should I start fishing for a good used Python or should I get a new $&$ 610? I am really miffed at the $&$ approach, but I do like the 10mm round so the 610 is it.

I have never shot a $&$ revolver, only Colt's, so any comments would be welcome. Also I have heard that $&$'s are more fragile then the Pythons. I used to own a 6.5" Python years ago but it helped me through college and I have never replaced it.

I love Pythons but have heard people hear say they are not as durable as S&W revolvers. The specific complaint, I believe, is that they get out of time with extensive firing.

I have not found this to be true, though. I have fired many rounds through Pythons with no problems.

Price on Pythons is kind of high at the moment because Colt isnt making them right now... rumor has it they will start up production within the year, though, so maybe this is only temporary.

S&W Revolvers are quite good, but I dont think they have the same buttery smooth action a Python does. They are pretty close though.

It is a tough decision on which one to get... but every revolver lover needs a Python.

I say the 610. If you weren't already familiar with the 10mm cartridge I would have said the Python but since you already know the 10mm, go for the 610.

I know I like mine.

What is a "good" to "very nice" (I do not know all of the proper grading terms, but I know what I like) Python run now? I would assume about $1000?

My wife bought a 610 classic two weeks ago. Now I'm put out for not finding this thing earlier. It shoots excellent and the single action trigger is real fine. She bought it used with very little shooting for $450 with a handful of moon clips. The clips are an excellent reason to buy one. Carry lots of ammo and not having to chase brass. Good revolver even if you don't need one.

The Python gets my vote. Everyone should have one. I bought a 6" nickel plated model for $700.00,used,last year. The only complaint I have is that the double action stacks a lot compared to my other Colts. My solution is to shoot it single action.

Peter,

I don't yet own a 610, but I do own two S&W 627 Special Editions. In every aspect, they are excellent revolvers; I suspect the 610 -- a VERY similar "N" frame design -- would be equally outstanding.

This said, I would opt for the Python (presuming it is in excellent shape). It is probably as good a firearm as the 610, it offers the wide variety of .38 Special and .357 magnum loads, and it is a beautiful example of Colt's craftsmanship (at the pinnacle of their distinction).

You certainly can't go wrong with either alternative.

I have a 4" Python and a 4" 610. The Python is a beautiful revolver and a joy to shoot, but the 610 just kicks butt. The Python exihibits noticable stacking in the DA mode. SA is light and crisp. The 610 was bought used from my fave shoppe after the original purchaser decided he didn't like moon clips. IMO this is where the 610 shines. I have put about 500 rounds through the 610 so far and the action, which was somewhat gritty, has become glass smooth, no stacking. Even the creep in the SA mode is now gone. The 610 is fast becoming one of my favorite handguns and I am in a frantic search for a source of holsters and night sights. The 610s one drawback for me is the unfluted cylinder which may make a ready-made holster difficult to locate.

Well, The jury is almost 50/50 on this one. I guess it will depend upon which one I find first. A good used python or a new 610.

Thanks for the advice.

pete

Peter, I have no experience with the 610. But, as for Python prices, they're all over the map. From $500 or so for a decent blued one to $700+ for a mint blued one to $700 for a nice nickel or stainless to $1000 or more for new in box nickel or stainless "Elite." After a long search I found a 6" nickel in excellent condition for $750. But my S&W 586 seems like a sturdier build.

Dick

I've had 2 Pythons. Great guns, but seemed frail. I have 2 610's & had a 3rd- a 6.5" & a 5" from the first run & a Lew Horton 3". I didn't like the balance of the 3". The 6.5" is for sale now that I have my 5". E-mail me if you might be interested 10mmman@home.com.

Given two equally tune guns, a Python and a Smith & Wesson, I'd put my money on the Python outlasting the Smith. The metallurgy in the Python is 4140 steel. When a part needs to be fixed, it's peened and stoned into shape. S&W uses parts which are MIM or surface case hardened. Once that hardened surface wears away, the part wears very fast. While S&W may be easier to fix (and cheaper), they'll need servicing more often than a Colt Python.

Mind you, the newer Colts have modern technology and they don't compare to the Python.

Back