Used my training today

1972RedNeck

I was out and about today and came across a young rattle snake without any rattles. I don't necessarily hate snakes, but the initial sight of them tends to double my heart rate and blood pressure. As such, I have no use for rattlers on my farm.

Anyways, when I saw him about 5 yards away and I just about had a heart attack, I pulled my P229 and proceeded to dump all 15 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger - Jerry Miculek style. Much to my surprise, when the dust settled, the snake was blown into several pieces.

Long story short, training pays off.

I've killed too many rattlers and got rodents instead. Then I got a cat to control the rodents. Now I leave the rattlers alone.

I think you’re from Florida. Am I right? Because in Florida that’s kinda norma. I seen a guy mag dump at a 12 pack of natty daddy.

I don't know, man. I'm from Florida. We sit side by side with the reptiles. This guy sounds like he's from Louisiana.
Yeah east coast is a bit different. You’ll got dinosaurs roaming freely around there. 5 foot iguanas climbing trees and . Tampa area has very unstable people

Well, things turned out well. Good for you.

That said, at 5 yards I might have been concerned about ricochets.
------------------------------------------
A long while back there was a poster on the site (not me) that said about snakes:
"If you see them, you can walk away. If you don't see them a gun won't do you any good."
-------------------------------------------
Note: there used to be as many snake posts as bear posts but I think the bears have carried the day in later years here.

I think the OP meant the post to be humorous, but yes, there are some potentially serious safety issues.

If you are going to be shooting at something you do want to make sure there are no bouncebacks or ricochets. So berms or backstops, should not have rocks or other hard objects in them.

When shooting to prevent the imminent loss of life, we don't concern ourselves overly with examining the area carefully to avoid objects that might cause ricochet. But if there is no threat, or no immediate threat, we have a lot more leeway to spend time and effort insuring safety.

A snake 15 feet away isn't really going to pose an immediate threat of serious bodily injury or death.

Only takes one

Only takes one 20 gauge round, a number 9 skeet load will do just fine. That's what my good buddy used to eliminate the BIG rattlesnakes on a property he purchased in Socal. The property had been vacant for years. He killed the snakes, and the rats took over! Cost him a young fortune to fix their brand new Range Rover the rats liked the taste of the wiring harness. Man those were some big snakes, should have made boots.

Back