Used Leupold price?

ATTICUS

A co-worker wants to sell a silver 2x EER Leupold scope with rings and mount for a S&W revolver (629 I think). I know what they go for new, but what would be a fair used price for the whole setup? Thanks.

With used optics from a heavy magnum it is really tough to call. It depends on how much abuse he put the rig through, ie, how many rounds with the rig attached?

Also, who installed it and how was it installed? Were the rings lapped? Were scope alignment rods used to verify trueness?

Another one to check is for indentations where the rings were mounted.

50% off of new/MSRP would probably be safe.

Lapped rings? Ha Ha, they were shimmed with duct tape....seriously. The pistol was sighted in, and carried for a couple of deer seasons (without success). I didn't notice any marks on the scope where the rings were. There is a light surface scratch or two, but the overall appearance is good. The mount and rings seem to be very good quality, but I don't know what brands they are, or if the scope was properly alligned on them. I believe the mounting was done by my co-worker though, so I would guess not.

I cleaned the tape residue off of everything tonight so that I could try it out on my scout rifle. The silver scope looks pretty ugly on my wood/blue rifle, but the eye relief is right on the money, and it does present a nice image. Camo tape maybe?

Thanks for the info.

Back