used colt detective nickled

RH Factor

Can someone tell me what a colt detective nickled..that is said to be 85% should look like(I believe it's the second edition). AND if you might have an idea what I should pay for it.
Thanks

Do you mean the "Detective Special"? I think it's a 2" barrel snubby in .38 special? Value depends on condition (especially if it has rust). How much use and wear, etc. I recall the Detective Special was somewhat collectable (?). Is it for shooting or collecting? If a shooter, try it out and check tightness of fitting, look for timing problems (spitting at the forcing cone). Check for cylinder wobble or end shake.

If it's really nice, it might be worth $300 - $350? If it's a collectable, maybe a shade higher. If it's not nice, ain't worth much.

I'm in agreement with bountyh, check out any used
dick special very carefully; as Colt's are noted for
coming out of time.:eek: Also, Colt's nickel finish
is a little suspect, on certain firearm's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

It will become a collectable, but not yet as they just stopped making them. Buy now while they are still available, then watch the value go up in twenty years.

Personally though, I would buy it for CCW. It may need a little work, but there are many good smiths out there that can make it better than new. Needs a new finish? Great time to have it engraved!

I have a third issue Det Spl in Nickle. Prices have gone up a lot in the past year. If its working correctly min of $300. regardless of condition. In LN cond $400. is being asked quite a bit. Check gunsamerica.com to see some prices.

Back