Used, But Still Works Fine

I used to have one as my edc for a while. Great shooters right out of the box.

Congrats on finding a nice one like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I picked up a 3” blued security six last spring, I’ve been wanting a 3” six shot .357mag for a long time. A few years ago I picked up a nice little Rossi for this purpose and when it functioned I loved it. Unfortunately it malfunctioned more than it worked. I contacted Taurus and they said they didn’t support this model for repairs anymore, and they offered me a replacement with their cheapest semi plastic snub. Either that or sign off on accepting the Rossi back to try get fixed or just fix it myself. I was tempted to just take the Rossi back because I felt it was probably something simple, but decide to accept their replacement. I absolutely hated the replacement but between selling it to my neighbor cheap and the cash they offered in addition I at least recovered the money I paid for the Rossi.

Wow, looks great. I've gotten some good deals on used guns over the years, but recently everything is overpriced or junk or both.

That's one of the best magnums ever made.

Quality gun? most certainly.

One of the best magnums ever made? Opinions vary.

To me (and only to me) a short barrel fixed sight magnum does not rank in "the best ever" class.

Quite good for what it is, but what it is just doesn't do it, for me.

low mileage

The picture could be deceiving but here's what I see (or don't see)
-not much of a turn line
-the checkering on the rubber grips is not heavily worn
-what I can see of the exterior seems super clean

I'm thinking a very low mileage revolver. I've posted this before but can't help posting again. Back in the day when revolvers ruled, I got very lucky and detailed to FLETC as a line instructor, twice. The US Border Patrol supposedly shot Colt, Smith and Ruger medium frame revolvers to failure. The Ruger "sixes" were the hands down survivors and the USBP went to them, as issue. My outfit bought a few too, but the day of the revolver as an LE issue was about over. I was not there for the testing, the permanent USBP instructor that was in the same bank of desks I landed in told the account, I've got no reason to not believe him.

The photo doesn’t really show the wear very well. Lots of scratches and scuffs, and plenty of evidence of being shot quite a bit. But the lockup is tight, timing is good, and trigger is excellent.

tight

You will have to shoot a ton of mag ammo thru that gun to shoot it loose, they are tough. With .38's it will outlast you, me and your grand kids too. I had a Security Six .....4". It had a really good SA pull. Outstanding in fact. The DA was heavier than I'd have liked, with a bit of a stack in the middle, but still entirely shootable. Mine was a very early blue steel gun with service grips. In fact, there were not any other grips available, Ruger had done some sort of grip frame change and none of the aftermarket grips of the day would fit my revolver. No matter, I liked the slim service grip as it carried and concealed well. I liked the gun alot, but traded it for a Blackhawk when the agency went to semi-autos. I carried the Sec-6 mostly as a woods pistol with midrange loads, shot primarily single action anyhow.

Back