Used .357

PaladinVC

While browsing in a local gunshop, I noticed a used Ruger Blackhawk for $209. This seemed extremely low, even for a used gun, and I assumed that there was something horribly wrong with it. It looked a little worn, as though it's spent some time in a holster, but I wiggled the parts and spun the cylinder, and it all sounded crisp and clean. I'd like to go back and take another look at it, but I don't know very much about single-action revolvers. What should I look for?

PaladinVC

Actually, that is a little low but not by too much. I see them all the time used down here for $200 to $250. They used to run in the $160 to $200 range, but all the cowboy shooters have driven the going price up a bit. Is it an old model or a new model. If an old model has it had the transfer bar safety conversion put into it? If so be sure to ask them if they have to original parts for it. If it is an old model that is a great price.

These are very stout guns and it is rare to find one that has any sort of timing problems unless somebody fanned the hell out if it. Check the timing to make sure the cylinder is indexing and locking correctly. Cock the hammer slowly and make sure that the cylinder locks up as the hammer cames full rearward. Cock the hammer fast and make sure the cylinder does not spin past battery.

Check also to make sure you can't push the hammer forward and cause it to fire.

I have bought a bunch of these guys used (i think 5 last count) and the only thing any of them needed was a good scrubbing.

Back