Use sights for trap?????

Lavan

Any of you trapshooters, do you use the sights at all or just point? I try each way and .....seem......to do better sighting as I am mainly a pistol shooter. Should I try to train an instinctive "look and point?"

There's more than one way to get there, and only you can make the decision. I did some trap years ago with a mid bead and kinda figure 8'd them for rising targets.

The best thing about the sights is one can tell if one's stock fits.In a private place, check and make sure your weapon is empty. Check it again. Close your eyes and mount your shotgun,and then w/o moving anything, open your eyes. If the gun's on target needing no adjustment, that stock fits. If not,then you have to play with it.

There's plenty of better trap shooters around, maybe they can explain how they do it better than I have.

I shoot trap and sporting clays a few times a month. I personally keep both eyes open and float the bird just over the bead. However, I'm using the same gun I have used for the last few years. I know that's where the gun shoots.I have a 1100 rem. that I use from time to time for trap that I cover the bird with the bead. That gun shoots best that way FOR ME. I was taught to keep both eyes open because it helps me see the bird(s) leaving the trap house. I had a hard time learning this because I was used to shooting rifle with one eye closed. I know some guys that close one eye and "aim" like a rifle. It works for them. Clay shooting takes time to learn. If it were easy, everyone would get bored and quit. Try a little of everything until you find what works best for you and your gun. Then stick with it and shoot some more. After about six billion rounds and alot of losing you will start to improve. Don't worry! Don't quit! All of us started somewhere! We love to have new shooters to teach ( and whoop! ) You will soon catch on and be helping someone else. That's why clay shooting is such a great sport!REMEMBER, don't worry if you miss, they will Break when they hit the ground!
CALVIN
" I'M THE NRA "

Back