use of cotton or dacron fillers

stubbicatt

It's still a ways away for me, but as I begin to compile a list of items to buy for 44-40, I find a general consensus that the relatively small charges of smokeless powder and the relatively large powder chamber in 44-40 inhibit good powder burn, I revisit something I read in a 30 year old Lyman manual about using fillers to assist in assuring even, safe, burning and pressures.

I remember reading of using a small tuft of dacron pillow filler material over a powder charge before seating a bullet. I'll re read those sections before attempting it, of course. Supposedly it works to keep the powder positioned near the flash hole which promotes a good even burn.

Anybody find such methods essential or advisable in this cartridge?

I had considered either Trail Boss or Tin Star but cannot find any available right now. So I figure since i have a large quantity of WW231 I'd try that and a dacron plug, once I actually get rolling on this project.

I had considered using black powder, and most likely I will try it at some point, but in arriving at a component list for smokeless, this powder positioning issue keeps nagging at me. Perhaps a duplex load might also work to keep the fouling down a bit. Again, I'm just mulling this over and will of course research it further.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

It's more important to ignition consistency in larger cases and with slower powders that are producing poor case fill. For that reason, a lot of rifle cartridges being loaded to lower velocities with cast bullets use it. With quick powders, very small charges, as are often used in firelapping can also benefit from some polyester pillow ticking (Dacron is DuPont's brand of this). It may also help prevent the rare detonation events that occur with some very small charges, particularly, though not exclusively, with slower powders.

All that said, I think you'll be fine without filler using 231 in the 44-40 case size, as long as you keep it up to normal target load starting doses (5.5 grains of 231 to start under a 200 grain cast bullet according to Hodgdon's current data).

I'll move this thread to the cast bullet area, as fillers are used more often with cast bullets.

Word of advice: do not pack the dacron, only insert it so that it is fluffy. Packing it can result in the situation of a plug ahead of the powder with an air space between it and the bullet. This "can" cause ringing of the chamber which pretty much ruins a good rifle. Personally I won't use filler ahead of anything faster than 2400. As a broad statement the faster powders will ignite properly regardless of position. I suggest that you visit the castboolits site, there is a ton of good info about the use of fillers and especially when not to use them. GW

Another caution when using polyester filler. As I remember it, a chemist stated that water is a by-product of burning polyester and as such, one should clean one's gun immediately after shooting rounds containing polyester. I did not, and I got some barrel rust in a .444 Marlin at one time.

NO cotton/dacron/cream of wheat or anything else as filler in the 44-40.
Just use Unique/W231 as-is. ;)

Last edited:
I shoot a 200gr RNFP with 7.2 grs Unique or 231 (or the HP equivalent that I'm forgetting at the moment) with no filler.

I have used filler on slower powders--2400 or SR 4759 but haven't found it necessary for the most part. You can tell, if you feel the recoil being variable, whether it'll benefit you. You'll need about half the dacron that you'd think.

Back