Use for Charter Arms .38?

STL_KRH

Inactive
Hello everyone. Time for my first post on this forum.

I was recently given a fully restored Charter Arms Police Bulldog .38 (4 inch barrel model) by a family member because I've been talking about getting a wheel gun for a long time, but never have. I've put a couple of boxes of ammo through it, and it's OK. I don't like having tools for which I have no use, and not knowing a lot about this particular pistol, I thought I might ask here.

A little back story so you know why I am asking: My EDC is a Sig P250 chambered in 9mm, and my home defense needs are largely taken care of by my trusty old Remington M870. I have a lot of range time/hunting trips with these weapons and can use them proficiently. I'm kind of thinking of using the .38 to keep under my basement bar, where I spend a lot of time, as I don't carry in the house and the shotgun is in the bedroom. I've lived in my neighborhood for 21 years, but it's gotten really bad as of the last 2 years (robberies, drug dealing, fights). Trying to sell but I can't get the price I want in order to leave and I travel a lot so it hasn't bothered me that much until now. I figured this revolver might fill in a gap until I get the heck out of Dodge.

That said, I do not believe the revolver is rated for plus P loads. I have written to Charter for a definitive answer. Also, how reliable are these revolvers? If I leave it under the bar and only take it out once a year to see that it still works and clean it, will that be sufficient to ensure reliability? Finally, what are the best defensive non plus P loads one can find in .38. Like I said, I do not have a lot of experience with this caliber.

Also, how reliable are these revolvers? If I leave it under the bar and only take it out once a year to see that it still works and clean it, will that be sufficient to ensure reliability?

Revolvers are good for that.

First- you don't need "+P." :eek:
Standard .38 Special ammunition works just fine.
The Charter is a good gun. I have S&Ws and Colts, but I have a couple of Charters in use as house guns.
Take the gun out and shoot it to make sure it works and that you can shoot it.

I think under the bar would be the perfect place for the old Bulldog. Sounds like it's not something you'd normally carry or bring to the range, it fills a need in your security plan, and a revolver can stay safely loaded for many years and be ready for combat instantly. I'm sure you've heard the old saying that a handgun can be used to fight your way to a long gun? The Bulldog can hold them off 'til you get to your 870.

We are assuming the Charter Arms revolver would be properly secured "under the bar", and that there would NEVER be a chance of it being unattended in the presence of young children, or even curious adults?

"I do not believe the revolver is rated for plus P loads. "

You say it's a "Police Bulldog." Does it say "Stratford" on the right side of the barrel?

That's a 6-shooter, right? If so, it's built on the Bulldog frame and IS +P capable. Although it doesn't say so on the gun, advertising of the era says it's designed to handle +P.

I'd recommend these for defense, something lighter for practice.

Attachments

• 38 +P $31 890 fps 279 lb ft.jpg
    38 +P $31 890 fps 279 lb ft.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 61
4" bbl should give good velocity. I like wadcutters for defense. Depending on LGS,you may have to order some, but cops relied for many decades on the .38 Spl (not +P) and some who reloaded , loaded reversed wadcutters.
I'd just use regular 158g round nose for practice. And do practice. It's not about accuracy really. Your hand and thoughts just have to find that revolver familiar when trouble comes. Being your other handgun is a SAuto makes this a must do.

I also have a mid size revolver chambered in 38 as part of my home defense plan. I load it with buffalo bores standard pressure low recoil low flash 158 gn hollow cavity SWC.
I have ballistics tested the rounds and they don't flay apart and expand like your average hollow point but the cavity does widen and expand as it penetrates. And it penetrates like crazy, which I prefer. 18+ inches of penetration. That's hard to find in a hollow point 38 load.

Thanks for the help. When I get home on Friday I'm going to try a few different loads at my range. It's clear I need to incorporate this gun into my routine for awhile because if I need it it will be under less than ideal circumstances.

And yes, it's secured under the bar in a fast open safe. My son is out of the house, but it's my poker buddies I'm worried about....

I have two Charter Arms short barreled .38s. One is an older model that shoots and functions well. One is a later model (different manufacture) and is much less smooth. I would not shoot a steady diet of +p through either, but I might carry +P.

These are mostly curios and I should clean them out of the safe because I have S&W to carry.

I have an older Undercover that I use in much the same manner that you suggest. As an aside, I started to have a problem with the cylinder release mechanism. I heard that Charter Arms no longer does free repairs on older generation guns but they will repair them for $50 plus parts. My FFL shipped it to Charter. He's a great guy that I do a lot of business with so he did it free of charge. He received the gun back within 2 weeks. Charter had fixed the cylinder release mechanism and replaced the crane and cylinder for no charge. Great company to do business with.

Operative words are 'was given'. They're decent low end revolvers. It'll absolutely fill your gap.
I think the Police Bull dog is the same thing as an Undercover with a longer barrel. This isn't much use, but it has an exploded drawing. http://stevespages.com/pdf/charter_undercover38.pdf
"...heard that Charter Arms no longer does free repairs..." I do believe I saw something about it too. Different company now, but their site is currently down to check.

The Charter Bulldog frame is larger than the Undercover. They are 6 shot as opposed to 5 shot.
The Police Bulldog was actually designed as a low-tier police weapon back when revolvers were still used by law enforcement.

I just bought my wife a Charter 38 Ultralite Special.

I have a Taurus TCP 738, .380.

Both guns are lite and easy to carry in pocket.

It's always good to have a back up handgun and 4" barrel .38 special revolver is perfect for that! Great handgun for home defense, hike in the woods/camping. Just a nice, all-around handgun and your was free!:cool:

I'm kind of thinking of using the .38 to keep under my basement bar, where I spend a lot of time
That's a funny place to hang out - under your bar.
The .38 special round has to be one of the most popular cartridges in firearms history.
If you do your part, and are accurate with it, there's no need to use super powerful ammo.
It's an effective round in its own right.
Quite the contrary, less is better indoors.

It's always good to have a back up handgun and 4" barrel .38 special revolver is perfect for that! Great handgun for home defense, hike in the woods/camping. Just a nice, all-around handgun and your was free!

I agree 100%. That's why I just picked up a 4" Taurus M82. it will replace my Charter Arms Undercover as a house gun. The Undercover will become my car gun (not left in the car but taken on trips and long drives).

"Less is better indoors."
To the right amount very true. I would never keep a gun loaded with 357 mag for indoor defense. The noise and muzzle flash would be overwhelming and m inhibiting. IMHO it's an outdoor cartridge. 38 special great for indoor defense.

One of the reasons revolvers make more sense is that you can load them and tuck them away "forever" without worry that when you need them a weak spring might decide your life's destiny.

Revolvers actually make more sense for the average citizen's use because they require no special training, and when loaded, are ready to go by just pumping the trigger. No need to learn or understand a "manual of arms" in terms of what do you do if the gun fails to chamber...fails to extract (stovepipe).

With a revolver you just start pulling the trigger...a dud round cycles to the next round, and if it comes up again, generally fires just fine.

Back