USAF purchases B&T APC9

Last I read they were using ar's as their new survival weapon. The new barrel release system made it so they could stick it on an ejection seat. I don't see the point of this weapon... but I feel that way about PCC's in general.

because 9mm is more readily available than 5.7 in the supply chain... and AR's are too large for PDW's.... in general....

I'm guessing VIP protection, possible new survival. but I don't see the advantage for survival over the new M17/M18, or the M9.... too much size and weight for minimal advantage, other than extended mags.

thats my best guess.

Having seen some of the aircrew weapon discussions, I doubt the APC9 would meet requirements. This is probably for either AFSOC needs or VIP protection details...my guess anyway.

PDW sized 5.56 loses a lot of power out of the short barrel. (Not usually quite down to .22mag levels, but it becomes more favorable to use a larger diameter at low velocities.)
5.7 has some advantages over 9mm in velocity and penetration, but loses out on diameter.

Read the article. It clearly state the rational.

the United States Air Force has purchased B&T APC9K PRO platforms for specialized service and close personal protection use.

Back