USA gunowners to be demonised *alone* ..

Curbs on Sex, Violence Access Nixed
By David Espo
Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, June 16, 1999; 7:56 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a victory for the entertainment industry, the House refused today to curb youth access to explicit sexual or violent material in video games, movies and elsewhere in modern-day culture.

The vote was 282-146 and came as lawmakers in both parties said the restrictions would have violated the Constitution's free speech guarantee.

In a long day of debate, the House also approved tougher steps to combat juvenile crime and girded for a politically charged showdown over gun control as it struggled to respond to this spring's shooting deaths at a Colorado high school.

With a series of gun votes set for Thursday, President Clinton lobbied long distance for passage of mandatory background checks for all firearms purchases at gun shows.

``I urge you to stand up to the gun lobby once again,'' he wrote to dozens of lawmakers in a letter from Switzerland, where he was attending an international conference. The National Rifle Association has lobbied furiously for a less restrictive measure than the all-inclusive background checks at gun shows passed by the Senate.

Read it in full:
http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WAPO/19990616/V000379-061699-idx.html

(If this is common knowledge, I apologise, but I couldn't find a mention of it on TFL).

You are on your own, fellas ......

B

Jeezis Krust, Bruce, has your entire media establishment gone commie, or what?

It wasn't a victory for the entertainment industry; it was a victory for the First Amendment. Sounds like a case of sour grapes over there: "They still have freedom of expression, we don't, so we'll insult them. Neener neener."

(shaking my shiny pointed head) Could someone please explain to me why other countries feel like they have the right to criticize our way of life? For example, how would Japan feel if we harped on them about their "Sword Culture?"

You guys can have your One World Government. I'd rather be free.

------------------
"When you go down, you go down fighting."
Sepultura, "Ambush"

Uh...Coinneach I think he was qouting an AP news release. It was our own (US)news media continuing to "...criticize our way of life."

Hate to tell ya Coin...thats from the Washington Post.

It is interesting though, that they have succeeded in pitting the 1st against the 2ndA.

In a very real sense the 1stA is already regulated and controlled...just look at the near total liberal slant we get, so as far as the elite is concerned, thats taken care of....the 2ndA is what they are worried about

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Wouldn't it be refreshing to read: "The vote was 282-146 and came as lawmakers in both parties said the restrictions would have violated the Constitution's right to keep and bear arms."

Our U.S. celebrities disgust me in their recent USA Today HCI ad. They care only about their own ox. They don't care one bit about a citizen's right to defend himself and his family, or about the rest of the Constitution.

Mea culpa. I tend to ignore by-lines.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Back