US survival rifle from Henry repeating

vince weng

I am interested in this rifle. Basically, it is a AR-7 clone and shoots .22 LR. Does anyone have this rifle that could give me any opinions. Any suggestion will be very welcome.

I have one of the Charter Arms AR-7s. If you need a stowable .22 rifle, it's okay. If you want a small, accurate .22, don't waste your money. Buy one of the youth sized rifles.

Mine has a crappy trigger and below average accuracy. I even tried the optional scope mount with a 3-9x scope with no luck. Of course I could be spoiled/picky- my Remington 700 PSS in .308 gets .40 inch groups at 100 yards!

The AR-7 is a neat toy for your collection and that's about it...

Vince, Like RCH I once owned one of the Charter Arms rifles that the Henry is copying.
It sucked. The accuracy was poor, the reliability was even worse. I just checked out one of the new Henry ones the other day because a friend was looking for a breakdown backpack rifle to use on ptarmigan.
I couldn't hardly believe it but the rifle had a plastic barrel with a thin metal liner. I think I'd pass on that rifle - I think I'd pass if someone GAVE me that rifle. I'm pretty sure Winchester makes a breakdown .22 lever action and I'm sure it would serve you better than that one would.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Vince, I bought the Henry US Survival rifle and thoroughly enjoyed sighting it in. The rifle is compact and stores in the stock which is waterproof and floats. It also has two magazines provided. It shot one inch at 25 yards using Remington Thunderbolts and iron sights. The sights are a little rudimentary, windage on front, elevation on rear. Don't know what the other guys consider good accuracy... ;)It is a survival rifle, not an Anschutz! Get one!

------------------
Son of Liberty

Armalite IS manufacturing new AR-7's in limited numbers. I don't know how much better these will be, but there it is. I looked at one of these Henry versions and was very unimpressed. The one I saw had an Aluminium barrel with insert.

PS: I heard the Charter Arms were junk and gave the whole idea a bad name. Armalites were OK, by personal observation it looks like the Henry is OK. The rifle is an occasional use aluminum survival weapon, to throw in the trunk, in the boat, behind the pickup seat, or in the backpack. It is not in the same niche as a all steel scoped one-piece Remington costing $300+. You are comparing apples with oranges! Get over it.

IMHO, I would not own a Ruger product of any sort. For one thing, the 10/22 bbl and receiver are not rigidly attached and independently move so your zero varies. Just poorly designed and cheaply produced junk. A Sears-Roebuck .22 would be a better choice for a serious rifle. Sorry if this bothers you Ruger buffs--I know you'd rather have 4 crummy guns for the price of one decent one. Well, to each his own...

BigG, you're a little testy today, eh? ;)

For those with experience with both, is the Springfield Armory M6 Scout a logical alternative to the US survival rifle from Henry Repeating?

Back