US Springfield 1903 National Match Rifle?

SWDM11

Inactive
Hey guys, a friend of my family is parting with her recently deceased husbands collectables. I have a chance to acquire a Springfield 1903 SN-1342993. I believe it is a national match rifle. The bolt has the serial number etched into it, its polished, and the raceways also. It is also stamped N.S. were the handle meets the carrier. The barrel from bolt face to muzzle is 24" and it has a roll mark behind the front sight "S A flaming bomb 3-39." I found the star gauged mark on the muzzle @ 6 o'clock. The stock is what gave me a cure ball. It has a SA SPG over under cartouches on the left side and a P cartouche on the pistol grip. It is also S marked in the cutoff recess. Between the pistol grip and the rear sling mount it is stamped D1836. This makes me question the originality of the piece, from what I understand the receivers serial number should be in place of D1836. She's asking $2500 based on some research her son did. If anyone can give me some insight on this rifle, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 007.jpg
    US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 007.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 271
  • US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 009.jpg
    US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 009.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 242
  • US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 012.jpg
    US Springfield 1903 National Match SN-1342993 012.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 248
The 3-29 would be the barrel date. That puts it at 1939.

I would have to look but it seems that its a stretch on the serial number to match up with the barrel.

On the other hand a star gauge mark on the barrel at that date I don't think is right either.

Interesting.

Will look in my books and see what I come up with but as stated, the CMP group will have all those details in their heads.

My data shows that the Jan 39 to Jan 40 receivers were 1,500,000 numbers.

It does not mean that you might not find a lower receiver on a higher barrel as I am not sure the NM setup. The assemly and dealing with those were a world of their own I gather.

710 NM were made n 1939.

Will leave the rest to the CMP group.

If I recall, nobody's 100% sure what the "S" stamp means, but that's at the end of the buttstock, by the bayo lug band

Is there an 'S' there as well?

Stamps

You may have already found better info about the stamps "S" and "P". Brophy's classic study "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" lists the two stamps as inspection stamps. There is info about the S stamp on page 574. All that can be said about it is that it appears only on stocks made at Springfield Armory.
The P cartouche is an inspection stamp. Some were in a circle, some in a square. Found just behind the trigger group.
National Match barrels were star gauged. This is indicated by a stamp at six o'clock on the crown of the barrel. The mark looks like "a six legged turtle". You found that.
The D1836 resembles the type of stamp that accompanies a star gauge, but it is usually on the barrel.
Pete

Last edited:
;) Photos please.

Try to include a photo of the whole rifle and the sights and other bits like on the SC I made pictures of for a friend who is going to list his rifle. NS? I thought this was for Nickel Steel but I am often wrong..LOL

DSCF0006_zpscf28bf60.jpg

DSCF0007_zps762a9329.jpg

DSCF0013_zpsd0a33c9d.jpg

DSCF0011_zpsc4adb08f.jpg

NS is nickel steel.

My dad's NM. Was bought at the 1932 matches at Camp Perry and fired in the matches there in 2007 (75 years later--better late than never).

deer-2.jpg

Serial number indicates manufacture in 1930 with barrel date of march 1939 the SA is Springfield Armory the SPG is probably Samuel P Green an inspector
SPG
at springfield around that time. The D1836 if on the stock near the butt may be a rack number.

Its been confimred as authentic on the CMP forum

More or less worth something int he $1500 to 2500 value.

Collector would pay higher, shooter lower and at an auction it would depend on who was interested in it.

Back