US Revolver Co .32 Hammerless

jason.h

Hi Guys,

I recently got an old .32 s&w (short) top break lemon squeezer marked US Revolver Co. It is actually in pretty good shape and feels strong, keeping in mind most of these top breaks are beat up pretty bad.
I am looking into reloading ammo and trying to shoot it, however, does anyone know if some of these revolvers were made for Black Powder only? Mine has a number on the trigger guard in the 85k range. My research tells me Iver and Johnson started US Rev. Co in 1910, I would imagine that all these revolvers would be made for smokeless at that time but I am not sure?

Also, does anyone have any tips for reloading .32 s&w, I was thinking a light load of Unique or Bullseye with a .312 hard cast lead bullet 78gr. Does anyone have any experience?

Thank You!

If it were made in 1910 it could have been made for smokeless. Modern factory 32 S&W is loaded very lightly and will not hurt most of the old top breaks made after 1905. A good handload with the bullet you mention is 1.5 grains of Trail Boss.

I don't have an answer but have an idea your thinking the right way. Light load of powder and a cast bullet. I'v got a 32 short but haven't fired it in years. Mine is an auto loader, mod 1917 Savage.

Factory 32 S&W is loaded Whimpy because of BP guns. What little load data exists out there is also super Whimp because of BP guns. What you have is a "Working Mans" Iver Johnson. Yes it was made for smokeless but it is still an inexpensive top break. Use legit published data and you will be fine. Most of that data will be from the early 90's or earlier but it still applies.

Powders...TB, BE, RD, or 231. Published for 231 is 1.5 gr with 88 gr. Skip Hard Cast and go with a soft alloy if you can get it. You'll need the softer alloy so the bullet will obturate properly in the barrel and reduce leading at the low velocities you'll be working at. I've worked up some cap gun rounds with Red Dot and Hornady .315 round ball that I run out of my Ruger SSM; still haven't found the sweetspot but zero leading.

"Savage made an auto loader in 32 Short? I see autos on the web made for 32 Auto. "

No, they didn't.

A common nickname for the .32 S&W rimmed revolver cartridge is the .32 Short, because, obviously, it's shorter than the .32 S&W Long.

But, I know of no semi-autos ever made for the rimmed .32 S&W round.

I defaulted to BP usage, on mine

I would imagine that all these revolvers would be made for smokeless at that time but I am not sure?

You are asking a very good question and while doing some research on mine, it did "indicate" the use of BP so that is the default I went with. The patent date is a good place to start. But I cannot tell you when they switched. I have not shot mine or have any interest in doing so. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

Back