US Navy flare gun

simonrichter

I recently watched a TV series called "The Last Ship" (another approach on the "killer virus"-theme). Anyway, there was one particular episode where communication via flare gun played a key role, so I started to research which model the Navy (or the US Armed Forces in general) use. Most surprisingly, I didn't get a result, whereas normally you need one click to learn whatever product they use respectively...

In most movies (most likely when it comes to the classic "last ditch attempt with flare gun"), the orange Orion model is used, but I'm pretty sure that was not the one in said episode...

What was your question as you never posted it? Milsurp flare guns come up every once in a while on surplus sites. They usually cost around $100. I had one that I had sleeved locally to take standard 12 gage flares and 12 gage BP shells. The Milsurp guns that I have seen recently were sold with an adaptor to use the Orion 12 gage flares.

I keep an Orion in my boat. I used to keep the adapted milsurp but fifteen years ago someone broke into the family cabin and it was one of the items that went missing. The main thing is price of the flares. The Orion flares are much less expensive and available at the local Bi Mart.

Odd, flare guns were mentioned in another thread here recently.

If you want to know the specific US flare gun, I too am at a little bit of a loss. I found info about wildlife control and park rangers using flare guns to signal each other and frighten off animals. You have to be a licensed ranger to buy them. Most flare guns you find online will be from Europe and almost always from a former Soviet state. They use a different size flare however but adapters do exist. I'm tempted to pick up this one

Polish Flare Gun

We ended up at the Grand Hotel
It was empty cold and bare

Flare guns are probably very dangerous. I've been tempted to get one but the risks, unless you are over water obviously, are too great.

I did learn that it is legal to use flares of white or green in most states for illumination.

Be surprised if there is an issue hand held. Flares can go into an M205 grenade or M79 as easily and at less cost than having a separate firearm.
U.S. military used the AN-M8 flare pistol among others during W.W. II. 25mm and 37 mm. Remington made one in W.W. I too.

This should get you a start:

During WWII the 37mm PYROTECHNIC M-8 was used.

"Adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces and the U.S. Navy in July 1942 with production ending in the 1950s. Right side of the aluminum frame has the factory/U.S. markings inside a triangle: U.S. PROPERTY / PISTOL PYROTECHNIC M-8″. The serial number is stamped on the back strap. Steel barrel and checkered black Bakelite plastic grips.

http://flaregunsales.com/product-category/flare-pistols/

USAF and navy survival gear included the Penguin MK31 MOD 0 US NAVY Flare Pen Gun.
Looked like a zip gun.

I think for most other illuminating uses, the 37 mm gun was used or a parachute flare mortar round.

. I found info about wildlife control and park rangers using flare guns to signal each other and frighten off animals.

My guess would be that if they are using flare guns to frighten off animals, that they are using something OTHER THAN A FLARE for that purpose. Flares make fires.

There are many things besides a flare that can be fired from a flare gun. During WWII, Germany even developed a (light) anti-tank warhead that was fired from a flare gun, as well as antipersonnel grenades.

We had this type in a pouch when I was on active duty these where carried in our aircraft.

fig043.jpg

^ I like the looks of that flare gun. It's similar to the polish ones that are so dirt cheap right now that anyone can get one.

As for animal use, the same sights had special flares that illuminated and whistled. They were expensive and I have no idea how they work since I couldn't get past the log in page. I can't even find the site now. Then again park rangers are probably better trained than your average joe anyway so while I most likely would burn my house down they know how to use them carefully.

Personally if I really got into flares, learned how to use them, where to get them, which ones to use where, etc.. then couldn't I just shoot them out of a smooth bore shot gun? I've seen it done and I've seen people say not to do it for fear of jamming or overheating the barrel.

edit--

Someone needs to invent a flare that illuminates without heat. That way we could shoot lightning bolts at each other with them.

I found info about wildlife control and park rangers using flare guns to signal each other and frighten off animals.

My guess would be that if they are using flare guns to frighten off animals, that they are using something OTHER THAN A FLARE for that purpose. Flares make fires.

My wife and I will pick up coffee and biscuits at one of the local burgerdoodle joints, then go down to the boat ramp to eat breakfast and watch the river go by. The exciting life of the retired. :)

The boat ramp has a major problem with buzzards hanging around, landing on cars and trailers, and scratching paint, dumping on everything, and tearing up anything they can tear up.

Every morning, a truck with government plates comes by and the driver fires a "flare gun" to annoy the buzzards. Whatever they shoot, goes out screaming like a banshee, leaving a trail of smoke, then makes a loud "POP" about 100 yards or so out. The buzzards get up, flap around for a while, then settle back as the truck goes on and does whatever it does the rest of the day.

I should apply for that job. :D

Whatever they shoot, looks like an Olin flare gun I see at Wal-Mart.

All I know about flare guns is that "some stupid" had one and burnt the place to the ground.

Thanks, that just brought back a lot of memories from 40 years ago. Most of those under 50 won't get it.

And to keep this firearms related, (while I listen to Deep Purple) in the background, I've known of a few truck drivers who kept flare guns in their trucks. Since they traveled to many places where guns were not permitted this was seen as an option.

Back