Urgent - need holster recommendation for weekend course

spacecoast

I'm taking an "advanced" defensive handgun training course this weekend and need a recommendation on what to take with me. In addition to a strong-side holster (which I don't yet have) I could take either of the following guns:

Ruger P95 (9mm, two 15 round and one 10 round mag)
Ruger P345 (.45 ACP, four 8 round mags)

They are also asking us to bring 400-500 rounds of ammo (covered), a strong side belt holster, a minimum of 3 magazines, eye and ear protection, knee pads, hat, etc.

I need to find a holster FAST for one or both semi-autos and get it ordered today if possible. What do you recommend? Is there a generic holster that would be OK for either? These two pistols are very similar size and weight-wise, the double-stack P95 is a bit wider and has a bigger grip, and the P345 (single stack) has a slightly longer barrel.

I also have J and K frame revolvers with belt holsters that I will take and see if I can work into the training, as well as my pocket-carried LCP.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Call Blade-Tech. They have several designs that would fit the bill and should be able to get you set up with a minimum of fuss.

Get a mag pouch. It's very difficult to smoothly manage taking a class without one.

Don't forget that you will need a good belt to hold your holster, firearm, and mag pouch. Find the stiffest belt you can get your hands on.

Your instructor will let you know his philosophy on this, but if it were me, I would choose one firearm for the training -- holding the others in reserve to use only if necessary. Swapping guns in the middle of a class often slows down your progress and puts your focus on the gear instead of on the techniques. Once you've learned the techniques, you know what to practice and you can work the other guns on your own time. But you've only got one shot at learning the techniques well.

If you don't already have your ammo in hand, get it ordered swiftly too. Finding enough ammo might turn out to be more problematic than getting your holster.

Stay safe & have fun!

pax

pax -

Thanks very much for the excellent advice on the mag pouch and belt, and to limit my choice to only one gun so I can focus on the course. I will be sure to get the pouch along with the holster. I have a wide and heavy leather belt (nice 2nd amendment buckle to boot) that I plan to use for the holster.

Despite the lower magazine capacity, I am leaning toward the P345, mainly because I shoot a little more accurately with it. But I am open to suggestions as to why the P95 would be better.

I'm set for ammo, I have over 500 rounds of each on hand. And I plan to have lots of fun!

Which one are you more likely to carry? That's the one I would take through the class, everything else being equal and since you have the ammo on hand already.

pax

Which one are you more likely to carry?

Actually, neither. My usual carry is an LCP in my back pocket, but for the purposes of the course I think it best to use something that is comfortable for a 400 to 500 shot day, is easy to get on paper out to 15 yards and meets the belt holster and capacity requirement.

From a practical standpoint, my most like holster carry would be a J frame snubby, but that doesn't meet the capacity requirements for the course and I'm sure they don't want me to have to stop and reload a revolver every 5 shots. I plan to take it anyway just in case, along with my LCP.

Hopefully I'm not starting to sound like Tackleberry. At least I'm not planning to take the course with a Model 29 ;)

Last edited:
Blackhawk Serpa, best holter. I have been using them for plain clothes carry and off duty for years. One of 2 holsters authorized for carry at my agency. That and Safariland ALS holsters. Blackhawk is less expensive and works better in my humble opinion.

Not to be a butt head... but how is it you're in an advanced class and don't have strong side holsters or even know which holster you want? :confused:

but how is it you're in an advanced class and don't have strong side holsters

Don't worry, I'm not easily offended. That's why I put "advanced" in quotes in the original post. It's the first class of three, all you have to do to take it is to complete a basic handgun training course, which is also necessary for a CCW permit in Florida (which I have). No holsters needed for that kind of course. I actually expect this first "advanced" class to be pretty tame, the second and third to be a bit more strenuous. I'm glad we're heading toward cooler weather down here.

When I answer a question I normally keep it short and go directly to the subject matter; thus, my brief “take the P95 with a serpa holster” answer, I try not to assume anything; however, now that we have a little more information I’m going to venture forth and suggest to you everything you should have in your range bag because, as you progress in these courses they become more demanding. For what it’s worth, this is what I carry when I attend weapons training, keep in mind that it’s not a hassle if you have a good quality range bag.
1. Weapon. High capacity auto. Beretta 92FS, G17, P95, the work horses of the semi auto world, IMHO.
2. Holster; that has a retention system, Blackhawk serpa is the best IMHO.
3. Hearing protection; electronic automatic ear muffs are getting cheaper every day.
4. Eye protection; ANSI Z87.1 certified with retention, you don’t want them falling off.
5. Belt; wide and stiff as you can find that works with your holster and belt-loops.
6. Magazine holder(s) that hold(s) minimum four (I use six) magazines, that’s five mags, one in your gun and four on your belt. Get the kind that retains the mag by friction not snap over covers.
7. Magazine loader; the brand to get is Maglula, by the end of the course your fingers will thank you.
8. Water; bring it with you, I’ve rarely found water on a course.
9. Power Bars.
10. Band aids various sizes.
11. Sun Screen.
12. Lip Balm.
13. Individually wrapped hand wipes, dead cheap at Walgreens.
14. Very sharp knife.
15. Wear over the ankle foot wear.
16. Depending on the time of year: gloves, neck muffler, wooly pulley, wool knit head cap.
17. Nice to have and a must depending on the course you are taking: Knee, Hand and Elbow protection.
Have fun.

Back