UPS to stop shipping handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Beasley

I have sent a message to their customer service to the effect that I won't be using their service as I don't wish to support any company that subscribes to anti-gun hysteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Associated Press
Thursday, Oct. 7, 1999; 12:17 a.m. EDT

ALLENTOWN, Pa. –– United Parcel Service will stop delivering handguns through its ground service beginning Monday, sending gun companies scrambling to find alternatives to the world's largest package distribution company, a newspaper reported Thursday.

Atlanta-based UPS – which handles the vast majority of firearms shipments – is changing its policy to reduce the risk of guns being stolen en route, company officials told The Morning Call in Allentown.

"We're trying to protect ourselves from employees stealing and criminals stealing," UPS spokesman Bob Godlewski said.

Handgun shipments have been stolen in the past, Godlewski said, although he would not say how many.

The company will continue to ship handguns by overnight air service, since such deliveries involve less risk than ground shipments that can take up to six days, Godlewski said.

Overnight delivery, however, costs about $25 more per gun – or about four times as much for a complete shipment, said Jim Chambers, executive director of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute.

"That's what we're trying to come to grips with. We're looking for alternative methods," Chambers said.

UPS will continue to ship long guns, rifles and shotguns by ground. Godlewski said handguns are more of a target for criminals.

UPS handles up to 75 percent of guns sent from manufacturers to distributors and nearly 99 percent of firearms shipped from distributors to dealers, Chambers said.

The U.S. Postal Service also will not send handguns by ground shipment, said an employee at the service's nationwide Postal Answer Line.

A small gun dealer in Walnutport, Pa., said the UPS policy change would hurt his business.

"It's going to kill me," said Paul Keifer, owner of Keifer's Gun Shop.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press [/quote]

------------------
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed—and thus clamorous to be led to safety—by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”—H.L. Mencken

This is an ongoing thread in Gen'l since this morning. Please respond there.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back