UPS at it again!

cathouse

Inactive
I am a licensed dealer and just tried to send a rifle to another dealer. I was told I could no longer send from commercial desks. I called UPS and they confirmed. I asked if I could take it to their terminal, they replied no they would have to arrange for a pick-up at my place of business. this of course would cost extra. Any one else have this problem? I have shipped rifles numerous times before from these locations.

I am not an FFL but I sent my pistol back to Ruger for some work about 2 weeks ago. I had to bring it to a UPS office and send it overnight mail. On the other hand, when i got it back the truck delivered it.

I can't figure UPS out. I know many locals and they indicate business as usual. Last night I got a big fat box o' ammo on my driveway. If I hadn't heard the semi rap on my door, it may have sat there overnight, and within the grasp of domestic terrorists. I get the impression that the anti stuff is localized to a degree and not a top to bottom corporate decree. Add into the equation their recent IPO and the incredible 39% jump in the stock. They swim in money folks - today.

Hi Cathouse, I am also a licensed dealer and UPS tried to give me trouble when I went to ship 3 handguns from ffl to ffl in the normal
couse of trade and business. Fortunately ,I came "loaded for bear" as I was expecting trouble and UPS did not disappoint me. First,
I has called the main UPS in Hartford and I
thought to bring a photo copy of my ffl and
the ffl of the dealer that I was shipping to.
When I arrived at the UPS terminal shipping
counter, the counter clerk told me that UPS would not accept the hand guns because UPS
only allowed shipping back to the Manufacturer. I told the clerk that she was wrong,DUH," ENPHASIZED" and asked to see her superior, who she did not want to call. I then told her the shipment was preapproved by the UPS main office in Hartford,Ct; which it was as I had phoned them ahead of time for instructions and prices. This made her reconsider and summon her superior, who actually bothered to look at MY FFL and The FFL of the shipment reciever and she processed the shipment. I was forced to pay 44.05 to ship 3 handguns from the east coast to the west coast via next day air saver; THE SAVER PART (big deal) saved me $3.oo by allowing UPS to delever by 3 pm instead of 10AM--It came to 14.68 per gun X 3= $44.o5
but would have cost about 30.oo to ship just 1 handgun. I had looked into shipping the handguns via US Postal Service as the Post Office allows shipping between ffl to ffl
however; The post office requires removal of the firing pins and shipment of the firing pins in a seperate box, registered mail. As I was shipping a da revolver with a frame mounted firing pin ,it was way too much trouble to remove the pin, so I shipped UPS.
The insurance at the post office costs 1.oo
per hundered insured, so $1400.oo covered
costs 14.oo & 20.oo to send the guns = 34.oo
but not counting shipping the firing pins seperatly = another 12.oo to 14.oo So, there is really no savings in my case but the post office might be worth while if you were shipping just 1 hand gun ,a semi where you could ship the frame in 1 box and the slide
in another and insure each box for 300.oo
I drive to my distributer now to pick up hand guns as I am getting paid 30.oo per drive--
the same as ups would get if I didnt drive and its only 30 miles up & 30 miles back.

[This message has been edited by ernest2 (edited December 01, 1999).]

Back