UPS and my USP

Status
Not open for further replies.

huge

As I reported in an earlier thread, I recently sent my USP Expert back to H&K to have an extractor installed under warranty. The extractor on the Expert is designed to serve as a loaded round indicator. According to H&K, some (including both of mine) slipped through without this feature. I also asked H&K to repaint the Safe/Fire markings that surrendered at the first taste of Gun Scrubber, and requested that they exchange the extended baseplates for the regular USP baseplates that I prefer. Finally, I asked for the Expert instruction manual that was not included with one of my pistols (it was shipped with SOCOM literature). According to UPS tracking, the pistol arrived at H&K on October 7, 1999. I'm happy to report that the pistol was delivered to me today, eleven days later. The extractor was replaced, the markings were repainted, and the baseplates were exchanged as requested. The literature was missing but, hey, I can call them and have that mailed. H&K also threw in one of their cable locks. I've heard some bad reports on H&K's service, and I have no complaints with the turnaround time. The BIGGEST surprise took place when I walked out to get the mail and found the box on my doorstep. H&K shipped it UPS next day air, and it was properly marked "Adult Signature Required". As I had been out all morning, UPS decided to leave it in plain sight on my porch in a metropolitan, residential neighborhood. I wince at the thought of paying for next day air to ship handguns in the future. There are those who argue that it is not a tariff on shooters, but a necessary safeguard against theft. Weeellll....that argument gets a little weak when UPS demonstrates such carelessness as to leave a handgun (and an expensive one, I might add), on my front porch. It's one thing to pay a premium for safeguards. It's another to be compelled to pay to fix the hole in the fence and find that the gate is left open. Hugh.

Have it delivered to your office. Next Day Air packages come in the AM. Or, leave a note on the door to have delivery accepted by a friendly neighbor.
FedX and other parcel delivery services will also leave the package on your porch.

You can also make arrangements to pick it up at the UPS package station, but that's as bad as leaving it on the porch...
As another mind boggling suggestion, you could hire a housekeeper or just get married.

If all of the above fail, have a pet port installed for the UPS guy to poke em through and post some large signs about a vicious dog on premesis.

The situation won't go away; solution is up to you.

My Triton .45 Super ammo was shipped to me UPS, and they left it by my front door. I was a bit surprised because UPS had never done that before...they usually always leave their yellow tag on my door which I must sign, or go pick up at the UPS office. This was last week.

Update - I checked the tracking number of the UPS website last night. It indicates the package was picked up from H&K on October 15th at 4:32 pm and delivered to my address on October 18th, 12:18 pm with the delivery location identified as "FRONT DOOR". I'm going to let UPS hear about this today. So much for their heightened safety measures to prevent handgun theft. BTW, I had previously asked H&K in my transmittal letter to contact me by telephone or e-mail to let me know when the pistol was shipped back. With next day air, I thought it would be easy to be at home when the package arrived. I never thought UPS would leave it on the porch, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of missing the first delivery attempt and then driving down to the parcel center. I called H&K yesterday to commend their warranty work and turnaround time, and let them know what happened with the shipment.

I deal and collect antique bicycles. UPS stories abound with boxes arriving looking like they had been thrown off the truck, then run over, then left in plain sight on your door.
There are good drivers and there are bad drivers.
Its not only UPS. I live in a rural area and my postman doesn't like to get out of his car, so he will attach packages to my mailbox. Rain or shine.
He could drive 40 feet in my circular driveway and leave them on the porch, but he just won't.
I have come home late in the afternoon and found valuable insured packages of rare antique parts hanging by a rubber band on my mailbox.
Sending packages to where you work is ok if the doodlebugs receiving the package will tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back