Uprade question

sgtredleg

I've had a Winchester model 1300 defender for about 12 years now. I've added a ghost ring rear site and rifle blade front site. I've followed the book tactics of Louis Awerbuck and recieved some tactical police instruction.
However, I am thinking of changing the current wooden stock on my shotgun to some sort of skeletonized polymer/plastic stock. Also considering light mount for night fighting.
Any advice or comments/considerations would be welcomed.

Any particular reason for the plastic "upgrade"? If just for the black Tactical look, save your money and paint the thing black. My Mossy 500 (Persuader) came with a plastic stock. While it is lighter, that light weight comes at a price. This being increased recoil. While I can't think of any scientific way to measure it, the woodstocked 500 I have feels like it has less kick than one with plastic. On the Mossy's the plastic stock is almost completely hollow while the wood stocks have a bolt hole drilled out that leaves a lot of wood to absorb some recoil.
Now if you are upgrading for a speed feed type stock that holds extra rounds, the extra round availability may outweigh the extra recoil. But again recoil is subjective.

As for putting a light on one, I personally don't own one with a light, but I don't see any harm. Target ID being an important factor in home defense.

Gator

Changing to a plastic stock has only cosmetic advantages, unless you live in a wet environment. Even there, it's minor.

How does your present stock fit? Wood stocks are mostly easier to adjust.

A couple of my 870s have flat black painted wood stocks, one for camo and one because the wood is just plain ugly.
Rough up the present surface on the stock, clean with grain alcohol or acetone, and use Bow camo spray to get a nice black finish of reasonable durability and unobtrusive good looks.

Add another vote for the light. Defense situations can happen in low light and as swampgator said, rule #3 (knowing your target) is just as valid in the dark as in the daytime.

Justin

Upgrade

I don't see a great "need" for the "plastic" stock. The trade off with the recoil of the gun just doesn't equal out. I've shot several Mdl 1300 turkey guns with 3" shells, and they're brutal. I have to admit I'm partial to the Remington Mdl 870 for a defensive shotgun. Wilson's gun shop bought out Scattergun Technologies, and produces some of the finest combat shotguns available. I would look at their website, you may get some ideas for your Mdl 1300.

Just got some time to check back in. A very knowledgeable audience you are! I was surprised to hear the nays for a plastic stock.
I had two reasons for the change to plastic:
1)I am ignorant to light mounts for a wooden stock. All the hot rod magazines I see advertise everything in black plastic. Yet, I prefer wood.
2)The weight consideration came into play. Maybe I'm a wanna be "Rambo" of sorts, but my standard carry strap features the 15 round storage capacity, I know Heavy as H***!
After reading everyones input I suppose I'll keep the wood if I can find a lite mount. (I'm too old to play Rambo anymore) Thanks for the great input.

One thing about that carry strap with the 15 rounds on it, Sarge. ALl that weight swinging to and fro during a crisis will ADD to your control problems. Think, pendulum...

While no ammo carrier is perfect, this one has the most obvious disadvantage, at least to me...

Back