Upgrading to a Weaver K 4 on a Gibbs 03A4

sigboy66

Inactive
Gentlmen,

I come seeking knowlege. I recently purchased a Gibbs 03A4 rifle with the replica M73B1 scope. While the setup is somewhat authentic I am left wanting just a little more power to squeeze a little more precision out of the rifle. In plowing through old posts on scoping the 03 and saw that Mavracer used the gibbs mount but mounted a Weaver k4 4x scope on his 03. I like the 4x magnification and still trying to keep the rifle somewhat true to the original design. The rings on the Gibbs rifle are 3/4" and the Weaver K4 classic scope is 1". My question is where do you get the rings to convert from the gibs mount to a 1" tube? Or is the Weave K4 scope come in a 3/4" tube version? If so where to get a 3/4" version of this scope?

Thanks,

Sig

My experience with the older Weaver 3/4" scopes is that the optical clarity is not nearly as good as the 1" models such as the K4. If it was me, I would try to get 1" mounts of some kind. If not, I hope you have better luck than I have.

Thanks, but how did mavracer adapt a gibs mount to 1" scope.

The weaver K4 60c Scope is has a 1" tube on it. How did mavracer go from the 3/4" gibbs mount to a 1" tube?

The 1903A4 has a Redfield mount.
Regular 1" Redfield rings ought to fit the base, I don't think they have changed the rotary dovetail over the years.

If the Gibb's mount is a faithful reproduction of the original Redfield mount then any standard twist in ring will work. they haven't changed the dove tail dimentions. the only detraction is they wont look period correct newer rings are more rounded and most now have torx or allen bolts.
these are burris
271742.jpg

I can't find Brophy's Book on the Springfield Rifle.

As far as I know, alternate scopes that were of limited issue for the A4 include the M81 & M82 (Lyman Alaskan) and the M-84.

Back